pet ducks ------------------on the lighter side of things

bluejeans

Songster
7 Years
Jul 25, 2012
New Mexico
Now my thoughts on pet ducks .. hopefuly this will not ruffle any ones tail feathers to badly --------" But"

calling your ducks
Pet Ducks quacks me up .. because its just a modern excuse for playing with your food ..

it realy spin-ducking so lets not have any more of this --------------foul play..

blue jeans
smile.png

I have to disagree.
I have been reading books of the diaries of Oregon Trail pioneers and Kansas settlers and more than one tell a story of having a pet duck as a child.

no matter this pet duck stuffery

is all caused by kids who wouldnt listen to their parents about playing with their food .
lol.png

Personally I wouldn't want a duck as a pet, unless maybe its a Muscovy. Any other of the domestic breeds I've found to be pretty lost in the head, messy and very loud.

smile.png
The mess is like gold for the garden .. And ducks sure do taste good .. and they are not nearly as annoying as a barking dog.
and the drakes hardly even quack .

You've lost me... I don't eat my ducks so they lean more on the pet side, Mine are kept for eggs and pest control, heck in some cultures they eat cats and dogs, hasn't stopped them from being called pets?
hmm.png

I can understand your philosophy to a point. If I were raising birds for meat then I personally would not consider them pets. However that does mean that people who raise them for meat can not also consider their birds pets. I know many people who keep their birds as pets for awhile then decide to eat them later down the road. I would also like to clarify that just because you don't label your ducks as "Pets" does not mean that you are not giving them a wonderful life. Many people give birds a excellent life and respect before they decide to send them to the freezer. I'm a vegetarian so I highly doubt I will ever personally raise meat birds but that does not mean I do not respect everyone's right to choose what they do with their animals.

our flocks are spoiled, come when called (often wait at their gates long before we get there to open them), do excellent bug patrol, provide eating and hatching eggs as well as ducklings to sell. We also butcher the extra drakes and all but 3 of the scovy. We hand raise the ducklings, hatching everything here on property. Some get sold some stay here. They are all use to top feed, attention and dogs and kids being around.

Heck I have been known to pick a drake up and go hhmmm you feel like you will be yummy, scratch their neck pin feathers and send them on their way to catch a bug.

My ducks absolutely are pets and I am proud to say so. Just because they are labeled as farm animals doesn't change a thing in my book, my retired horses are pets too. We have no intention of eating the ducks besides their eggs, although we would if we had too, and they provide us with companionship when we are outside. Not sure what you are about OP.

Back
Top Bottom