1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Pet Glove" for plucking?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by littlegorb, May 14, 2011.

1. littlegorb

littlegorb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Republic of Bayard
    i will start processing my meaties any day now. i've always plucked by hand, and thought, what about using one of those pet gloves, with rubber knobbies on it, to do the job? anybody else done this? if not, i will use the one i have and post later how it worked out.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    sounds like a great idea! let us know how it goes . . .

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I just use the black Nitrile mechanics disposable gloves. Sturdy, great feel.

4. littlegorb

littlegorb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Republic of Bayard
    i do have the pet glove already and will let you all know how it goes. i've always plucked bare handed but thought surely there is an easier way, without buying or building a plucker. rubber gloves i suppose would work too.

5. SJ

SJ Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I got one too for my puppy. but it only fits on my right hand. do you have one thats ambidextrius?

6. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I've found them to be too thick and awkward. I just use my plain old hands, but my wife likes using the Nitrile gloves. I use those gloves for other projects, and they are excellent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by