Pet Peeves

Engineers who can't be arsed to asked for risk impact assessments of scheduled maintenance. I should not be finding out about a full site outage from a review of the change ticket less than 24 hours before you start. This should have been talked about weeks ago. We did this exact same dance 2 months ago for a different site. Why would that change because the location is different. You don't get to complain at me for rejecting your change and suggesting you gather stakeholders to do a full risk assesment before you reschedule. I'm not going to eat 18 hours of rebuilding databases because you took us down and replication failed.

...Why, no, nothing is wrong at all, why do you ask?

Forcing licensing on electricians and such then still have an inspector seems redundant.
Does it though? Even if you're a licensed electrician, you can still screw up on accident. Especially on big jobs where you're doing the same thing over and over and end up in autopilot or rushed. We're all human at the end of the day. Same as any other trade or even a lot of other fields. Kinda like peer review of medical research or health inspections of restaurants I feel like fall in this same category.

Mileage varies though too, If your inspector is literally just looking at a closed panel and saying "yup, I don't see any wires sticking out, pass!" then it's useless. Inspector gotta know the code and do their job too.

Yes. Go through apprenticeship/special training and get licensure just to get inspected by one that can make mistakes too. Redundant.
Idunno that I agree with that. It leaves a lot on the contractor to make sure they police themselves, and I've met a LOT of garbage/shady contractors in my time. I totally see your point too, but I kinda feel like the reason "incidents" don't happen more often is because there's 2 parts in play and at least one of them isn't an idiot.

Does it though? Even if you're a licensed electrician, you can still screw up on accident. Especially on big jobs where you're doing the same thing over and over and end up in autopilot or rushed. We're all human at the end of the day. Same as any other trade or even a lot of other fields. Kinda like peer review of medical research or health inspections of restaurants I feel like fall in this same category.

Mileage varies though too, If your inspector is literally just looking at a closed panel and saying "yup, I don't see any wires sticking out, pass!" then it's useless. Inspector gotta know the code and do their job too.
I have to agree.
When a mistake can mean someone's death or a whole building going up in flames, 2 sets of eyes is better than 1.

Back
Top Bottom