Pet Peeves

Pics
Welp. Maybe I'm too sensitive. :idunno I have a dear friend named Karen and it hurts my heart to hear people use her name that way. She would never complain or show that it hurts her in any way, I'm sure; if she did it would just confirm people's conviction that she is, indeed, "being a K..." As I am sure, no doubt, people are thinking the same thing about me right now. But I'm not calling the cops on anyone about it. 😉
I'm with BBH on this one. I have a member of staff who is a Karen and she's taken to referring to herself in all forms of communication as KC (Casey if spoken) because she got so tired and stressed out with people being snarky about her name. Instead of using "Karen", just use your favorite B or C word instead. You'll find that no matter which of them you use, the subject will be equally indignant, so just be honest. :) Bonus points for a B and C word together (bloated cow seems to be particularly offensive for some reason)

Follow me for more terrible social tips. :)

Please don't call people Karens. It's no different than using the n word, for white people.
You make it sound as if so called "Karens" can only be white.
Also, the n word is much harsher than Karen; as far as I can tell, "Karen" just refers to an overly sensitive person. Is calling somebody who you think is being a "snowflake" really equal to calling a black person by the n-word? An old, very derogatory slang for an entire racial group? Really?

Besides, anything can be an insult -- part of it comes down to the word itself, and part of it comes down to the person at whom the word is directed. You can choose to be or not to be offended by anything -- if you're willing to do the mental gymnastics to get to such a conclusion, you could get offended at somebody calling you pretty.

It's hurtful to anyone actually named Karen.
And calling anyone dumb is an insult to mute people, calling someone a fool is insulting to court jesters, and calling somebody brainless is insulting to people born without brains, then, I assume.
Do tell me what your opinion on the name Mary Sue being used in writing to refer to overly perfect, goody-goody characters who tend to be irritating to the reader is; I'm genuinely curious.

Last edited:
Welp. Maybe I'm too sensitive. :idunno I have a dear friend named Karen and it hurts my heart to hear people use her name that way. She would never complain or show that it hurts her in any way, I'm sure; if she did it would just confirm people's conviction that she is, indeed, "being a K..." As I am sure, no doubt, people are thinking the same thing about me right now. But I'm not calling the cops on anyone about it. 😉
Call me “ late for dinner”; or worse but, from my vantage point, watching someone devolve into a *Karen* Is flat out like watching a temper tantrum devolve into a complete meltdown…

Case in point from a movie, “Maximum Overdrive” has a scene when the folks at the truck stop have had enough and the “waitress” goes into the full on screaming rage of “We. Made. You!” Over and over again….

Yet… in case your not aware. There is always the choice to use another language to help with the insult labeling… may I recommend a solid option is a dead language: Latin.

Calling someone a bovine quatroped does have a certain flare to it. No?

I'd laugh too hard saying it.
Mind you, this usage has been in my vocab since either sophomore or junior year of high school….. the wit/sarcasm of older students & teachers back then was definately very 80’s granted it was also in Orange County, California…..

I work as a school psychologist. My job is primarily early intervention and assessment of students with suspected disabilities. I go over important information that guides the services students will receive in school. I find it utterly intolerable when people (staff and parents) come into the meeting and put their phones on the meeting table.

In my mind, the message it sends is, "This meeting and information is not important enough to me that I wouldn't be willing to take a phone call or answer text messages. I can't be bothered to leave my phone on silent and in my pocket for 30-60 minutes."

I have the same reaction to staff pulling out their laptops to work on things completely unrelated to what we are discussing. If you can't even passively engage with what we are discussing/sharing, then get out. This is a child's future.

I work as a school psychologist. My job is primarily early intervention and assessment of students with suspected disabilities. I go over important information that guides the services students will receive in school. I find it utterly intolerable when people (staff and parents) come into the meeting and put their phones on the meeting table.

In my mind, the message it sends is, "This meeting and information is not important enough to me that I wouldn't be willing to take a phone call or answer text messages. I can't be bothered to leave my phone on silent and in my pocket for 30-60 minutes."

I have the same reaction to staff pulling out their laptops to work on things completely unrelated to what we are discussing. If you can't even passively engage with what we are discussing/sharing, then get out. This is a child's future.
I totally see where your coming from.

My inadvertent habit has been to sit the phone on the table (in silent mode) but, off to the side with my keys and sunglasses on top of it because I didn’t feel safe setting it on the ground. And I have an issue of them in my pockets. Butidigress

To solve the 40 phone calls from DH at the store, I legit will screen shot a picture of every item so he can match it to what he should be getting. I do the majority of the shopping, but he does go on those emergency oops we need 6 things. Occasionally he will still call with a question. 😂😂 He is much better at matching than reading carefully.

Back
Top Bottom