Pet Peeves

We'll save this for the next grammar debate. :lau

Notes for copy editors

A dangling participle walks into a bar. Enjoying a cocktail and chatting with the bartender, the evening passes pleasantly.​

A bar was walked into by the passive voice.​

An oxymoron walked into a bar, and the silence was deafening.​

Two quotation marks walk into a “bar.”​

A malapropism walks into a bar, looking for all intensive purposes like a wolf in cheap clothing, muttering epitaphs and casting dispersions on his magnificent other, who takes him for granite.​

Hyperbole totally rips into this insane bar and absolutely destroys everything.​

A question mark walks into a bar?​

A non sequitur walks into a bar. In a strong wind, even turkeys can fly.​

Papyrus and Comic Sans walk into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out -- we don't serve your type."​

A mixed metaphor walks into a bar, seeing the handwriting on the wall but hoping to nip it in the bud.​

A comma splice walks into a bar, it has a drink and then leaves.​

Three intransitive verbs walk into a bar. They sit. They converse. They depart.​

A synonym strolls into a tavern.​

At the end of the day, a cliché walks into a bar -- fresh as a daisy, cute as a button, and sharp as a tack.​

A run-on sentence walks into a bar it starts flirting. With a cute little sentence fragment.​

Falling slowly, softly falling, the chiasmus collapses to the bar floor.​

A figure of speech literally walks into a bar and ends up getting figuratively hammered.​

An allusion walks into a bar, despite the fact that alcohol is its Achilles heel.​

The subjunctive would have walked into a bar, had it only known.​

A misplaced modifier walks into a bar owned a man with a glass eye named Ralph.​

The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.​

A dyslexic walks into a bra.​

A verb walks into a bar, sees a beautiful noun, and suggests they conjugate. The noun declines.​

An Oxford comma walks into a bar, where it spends the evening watching the television getting drunk and smoking cigars.​

A simile walks into a bar, as parched as a desert.​

A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, drinking to forget.​

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.​

Thanks, Hayden, you made my day! Well, not literally ...:lau

I have a good one🤣 people assuming they own something that’s yours when you just “proposed” an idea

like my neighbor (I love her so much but she’s a little pushy and doesn’t always understand no) I said depending on how many hatch I’ll let her ame some because im going to keep them but she’s kind of assuming I mean the next one that hatches

I have a good one🤣 people assuming they own something that’s yours when you just “proposed” an idea

like my neighbor (I love her so much but she’s a little pushy and doesn’t always understand no) I said depending on how many hatch I’ll let her ame some because im going to keep them but she’s kind of assuming I mean the next one that hatches
Oh, I have one of these in my life.
It's taken me years to crack down on boundaries rather than stew for days over inconsiderate nonsense.
*blood pressure shooting up just thinking about it*

Oh, I have one of these in my life.
It's taken me years to crack down on boundaries rather than stew for days over inconsiderate nonsense.
*blood pressure shooting up just thinking about it*
Yea they’re great 🤣🤦‍♀️ I dont stew really over it but I’m either not able to say no or your feelings are going to get (that’s only people I know) but it’s easy to say no when it’s someone you barely know

Back
Top Bottom