Pet Peeves

Does your DDS offer sedation dentistry? Mine does, though I don't use it.
I don't actually know (I only started going there a year ago) I feel it'd get expensive quickly-I think I'd rather get a couple of new chickens than spend the money on that. :p
Definitely something to think about, though!
They did start a new thing: ultrasound cleaning. I told them, "Put down on my chart that Sally LOVES ultrasound cleaning!" NO scraping! The hygienist said the sound bothers some people, but I guess I'm deaf to that range, or something. It made the cleaning a breeze for me.
:eek:No... scraping?
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Sorry you had to deal with that. I absolutely hate the dentist as well.
Thanks. I don't know that I've ever met someone who is like "Yay!!! I'm so excited to go to the dentist!!!"

I've hated the dentist since I was in high school, many years ago. The dentist started working on a filling, when I wasn't really numb. Then, he ended up drilling down into an active infection in the root. I experienced the worst pain I'd ever had (actually still the second worst pain ever-- only after the pain from a bout of bacterial meningitis). I need a mild sedative just to go to the dentist. I finally found one 20 years ago that was reasonably gentle, that I saw for about 12 years. Then he retired and sold the practice. The new dentist was not as gentle. For me, I'd rather have as much manual cleaning as possible. The frequencies and bone conduction from the scaling machines are appalling!

Now, I'm in a new area and haven't been to a dentist for far too long because of Covid. I know it is going to be completely miserable when I finally get seen.

:oops:

I hate coffee with a passion. And my migraine medicine has caffeine in it. I'm getting one because of the weather, the pressure is dropping. Thanks though
My mom used to say she could keep one from coming on by drinking a glass of cold milk. Everyone eho suffers with mygraines, you have my deepest sympathy! :th

Or here’s another pet peeve of mine... (I copied and pasted (my) story from another thread.

Pet peeve: ‘Just whatever you do, don’t move’

Definitely am not a fan of the dentist. I think part of the reason is bad previous experiences as a kid, people treating me differently (acting like I can't comprehend/answer questions just because I'm neurodiverse) and I think the biggest reason is that I get very, very stressed meeting new people, or talking/seeing people that I don't know very well, and I guess that I get really anxious when I not only have to answer questions etc, I have to be willing to let them stick me with needles, scrape my teeth (agh.... that sound...) and just you know, do stuff to me that I don't even let my family/friends do (like sticking their hand in my mouth :p)

This is a bit rambly and graphic, so consider this your warning. :)
One of my most traumatic experiences was a couple of years ago.
First off, a little background: while I was sick, I learned that one of my parakeets had died, which was terribly heartbreaking. I also learned that what I had thought, and even the doctor thought when I got it checked, was a sprained ankle, turns out it had been broken and sprained - and I had been walking on it for 6 months.

On to the story: It wasn't a dentist exactly, but had to do with my mouth. I had been sick for a couple days as mentioned - fever, terrible sore throat, etc.
I went into the urgent care after I found that I couldn't speak or open my mouth much at all.
At urgent care, they at first thought it was just a bad cold, but then when I told them (very quietly, as I couldn't speak well) that I had trouble opening and closing my mouth, they were pretty certain it was something else. They checked my throat, and sure enough, they could tell that one of my tonsils was really swollen.
They had a suspicion that it was a peritonsillar abscess but weren't completely sure, so they sent me to the ER (which was about half an hour away). Once I got there, they looked and confirmed that it was a peritonsillar abscess.
They had me go back to a room, change into a gown, and (I thought this was super cool :p) was able to stick only one needle in to get a blood draw and an IV.

It was about 3:00 pm by this time, so I ended up just staring at the ceiling and trying not to freak out.

It was really busy, so I had to wait a couple of hours before seeing the ENT doctor.
At around 5:00/6:00 pm, the ENT doctor came in and took a look. He said that he thought it needed to be drained, but these were the three options:
1. Do an MRI to see how bad it truly is, but this would mean staying overnight.
2. Try antibiotics alone and see if it clears up
3. Go ahead and do the procedure.

I thought about it a little bit, then, although I was super scared, ended up choosing the 3rd option, which was to go ahead and do the procedure. I was in a lot of pain and just wanted it to be done. I asked if they could do a general anesthetic: Nope.

So, I waited a little bit longer (it was probably around 7:00 pm by this time) and he came back with the tools. (scary looking, btw)

He sat me up in the hospital bed, had me open my mouth, and gave me one, single instruction:

"Whatever you do, don't move"

He put a little bit of numbing gel onto my tonsil, then tried to inject the numbing medicine.
The problem was that a) he kept dripping it down my throat and b) I have an incredibly strong gag reflex, and c) I started to choke on it. He decided then that I'd be fine, and had my sister hold the suction (poor, poor sister... why not get a nurse?)

He stuck a syringe into the incredibly tender abscess, with me trying my best not to gag, cry, jerk, whatever. Tears were just streaming down my face... I kept gagging, over and over, in incredible pain as he attempted to pull the pus out of the abscess. Blood was kind of splattered everywhere, I was trying not to gag and cry, and he seemed rather frustrated with me.
He took a scalpel, and reinforced the command "Whatever you do, don't move", then proceeded to put the scalpel down my throat to cut the abscess open. He cleaned it up a little, cleaned up the tools, and left. That was kind of the end.

First off, I can be pretty squeamish.
Second, I was trying, really trying not to move, or gag, but it's a reflex and I couldn't control it.
Third, this was by far the most painful experience of my life. Even compared to breaking bones, cramps, root canal, etc.
Fourth, I am a picky eater. Let me tell you that a mixture of pus, saline, and blood does not taste good.
Fifth, I just really wish I had been more comfortable. Oh well.

Ok, this sounded VERY complain-y, and I certainly am being so.

However, I know that it probably wasn't the doctor's fault - it was busy, late at night, and I'm sure he was tired. I'm still grateful that it was taken care of, I just wish my experience hadn't been so terrible.

Sorry, very rambly indeed.

Or here’s another pet peeve of mine... (I copied and pasted (my) story from another thread.

Pet peeve: ‘Just whatever you do, don’t move’

Definitely am not a fan of the dentist. I think part of the reason is bad previous experiences as a kid, people treating me differently (acting like I can't comprehend/answer questions just because I'm neurodiverse) and I think the biggest reason is that I get very, very stressed meeting new people, or talking/seeing people that I don't know very well, and I guess that I get really anxious when I not only have to answer questions etc, I have to be willing to let them stick me with needles, scrape my teeth (agh.... that sound...) and just you know, do stuff to me that I don't even let my family/friends do (like sticking their hand in my mouth :p)

This is a bit rambly and graphic, so consider this your warning. :)
One of my most traumatic experiences was a couple of years ago.
First off, a little background: while I was sick, I learned that one of my parakeets had died, which was terribly heartbreaking. I also learned that what I had thought, and even the doctor thought when I got it checked, was a sprained ankle, turns out it had been broken and sprained - and I had been walking on it for 6 months.

On to the story: It wasn't a dentist exactly, but had to do with my mouth. I had been sick for a couple days as mentioned - fever, terrible sore throat, etc.
I went into the urgent care after I found that I couldn't speak or open my mouth much at all.
At urgent care, they at first thought it was just a bad cold, but then when I told them (very quietly, as I couldn't speak well) that I had trouble opening and closing my mouth, they were pretty certain it was something else. They checked my throat, and sure enough, they could tell that one of my tonsils was really swollen.
They had a suspicion that it was a peritonsillar abscess but weren't completely sure, so they sent me to the ER (which was about half an hour away). Once I got there, they looked and confirmed that it was a peritonsillar abscess.
They had me go back to a room, change into a gown, and (I thought this was super cool :p) was able to stick only one needle in to get a blood draw and an IV.

It was about 3:00 pm by this time, so I ended up just staring at the ceiling and trying not to freak out.

It was really busy, so I had to wait a couple of hours before seeing the ENT doctor.
At around 5:00/6:00 pm, the ENT doctor came in and took a look. He said that he thought it needed to be drained, but these were the three options:
1. Do an MRI to see how bad it truly is, but this would mean staying overnight.
2. Try antibiotics alone and see if it clears up
3. Go ahead and do the procedure.

I thought about it a little bit, then, although I was super scared, ended up choosing the 3rd option, which was to go ahead and do the procedure. I was in a lot of pain and just wanted it to be done. I asked if they could do a general anesthetic: Nope.

So, I waited a little bit longer (it was probably around 7:00 pm by this time) and he came back with the tools. (scary looking, btw)

He sat me up in the hospital bed, had me open my mouth, and gave me one, single instruction:

"Whatever you do, don't move"

He put a little bit of numbing gel onto my tonsil, then tried to inject the numbing medicine.
The problem was that a) he kept dripping it down my throat and b) I have an incredibly strong gag reflex, and c) I started to choke on it. He decided then that I'd be fine, and had my sister hold the suction (poor, poor sister... why not get a nurse?)

He stuck a syringe into the incredibly tender abscess, with me trying my best not to gag, cry, jerk, whatever. Tears were just streaming down my face... I kept gagging, over and over, in incredible pain as he attempted to pull the pus out of the abscess. Blood was kind of splattered everywhere, I was trying not to gag and cry, and he seemed rather frustrated with me.
He took a scalpel, and reinforced the command "Whatever you do, don't move", then proceeded to put the scalpel down my throat to cut the abscess open. He cleaned it up a little, cleaned up the tools, and left. That was kind of the end.

First off, I can be pretty squeamish.
Second, I was trying, really trying not to move, or gag, but it's a reflex and I couldn't control it.
Third, this was by far the most painful experience of my life. Even compared to breaking bones, cramps, root canal, etc.
Fourth, I am a picky eater. Let me tell you that a mixture of pus, saline, and blood does not taste good.
Fifth, I just really wish I had been more comfortable. Oh well.

Ok, this sounded VERY complain-y, and I certainly am being so.

However, I know that it probably wasn't the doctor's fault - it was busy, late at night, and I'm sure he was tired. I'm still grateful that it was taken care of, I just wish my experience hadn't been so terrible.

Sorry, very rambly indeed.
:hugs It makes me mad that you were treated this way, Lemon. This made me cry.

:hugs It makes me mad that you were treated this way, Lemon. This made me cry.
Awww, thanks. I don’t know that the dr meant to be rude... maybe I wasn’t communicating my pain properly or something, but I guess I’ve been extra stressed since whenever I go to any medical offices, especially when I know they’re going to do something in my mouth.

Back
Top Bottom