pet rabbits?

mom wewantchicks!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
buckhannon,wv
our sweet babysitter has offered the kids 2 baby bunnies. i have no luck w/bunnies. i can keep them alive,but they are always so wild you cant hold them and they scratch. and i feel horrible keeping them caged. so lay it on me,all the advice you have on keeping bunnies for pets. my dd really wants these guys and i have to admit,whats cuter than a baby bunny? should i keep them in?or out? can i make them a run on the ground so they can run and jump? or will they dig out? do bunnies ever make pets that you can hold and love,or are they just "wild beasts"

Of course bunnies can be great pets! Most of the ones who bite and scratch do so out of fear, or because they have been mishandled. Don't forget, bunnies are prey animals and react with alarm to almost every new situation.
Do you know what breed they are? In general, the larger breeds tend to be more docile, but that isn't a hard and fast rule. The biggest thing to remember with children around rabbits is that they need to be quiet, and not move too fast. Loud voices and quick movements scare bunnies.
As I advise everyone who is getting a bunny, check out the House Rabbit Society's website. It is fabulous. www.rabbit.org
bun.gif

I think it depends on the breed. We have a 2 yr old male Holland Lop rabbit. He has always been naturally mellow. Never bitten or scratched. He is kept indoors in a medium sized cage and we try to let him out daily for a little exercise. The kids sit on the floor and he will hop over and let them pet him. I agree with previous posts.....calm gentle handling is key. Just FYI....the "LOP" breeds/types tend to be the most mellow from what I have seen.

We had rabbits as kids and I don't remember them being wild at all. We just started our meat rabbit stock and have Californians (2 bred does and a buck). The buck is far more freindly than the females.

bunnies are very sensitive to noises, lights etc.. So, if you're gonna keep one for a pet, keep him/her inside in one of the quiet rooms. You need to handle the bunny every day for at least 30 minutes so they get use to being handled. Then 20 or so minutes of play time where they get to run around and get in trouble. Eventually they'll get use to being handled and look forward to it. We had a mini lop years ago that would go bonkers when we came home from work because she knew that it was play time.

My rabbits are also for meat but they will let you handle them but they're certainly not broken like a pet rabbit. I've never had any of our rabbits bite/scratch. I've heard them growl a few times but that's it.

well i havent decide yet on the bunnies. i have no idea what kind they are, probably a mix. they are just brown, white and black bunnies!!! i have never been biten my a rabbit but you know, you pick them up and they go crazy kicking and scratching? im really thinking bunnies would not be best for my kids. dd, yes, my boys, no. they are 4 and 2 and dont really get the "be easy" rule!

My rabbit was a rescue from a farm and was about 6 months old when I got him. He was a little wild.. but every day we've given him dandelions, carrots and other yummy things to nibble on.. Now he RUNS to the wire and begs for us to come over. The way to a rabbits heart is through his stomach!!

When you pick them up hold them close to you and make sure their feet are supported, they feel safer that way.

mom,wewantchicks! :

well i havent decide yet on the bunnies. i have no idea what kind they are, probably a mix. they are just brown, white and black bunnies!!! i have never been biten my a rabbit but you know, you pick them up and they go crazy kicking and scratching? im really thinking bunnies would not be best for my kids. dd, yes, my boys, no. they are 4 and 2 and dont really get the "be easy" rule!

Yeah, kids that small wouldn't go well with a bunny. Get them a beagle instead.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom