Pet Store Rant

I like my local petsmart......for the most part. Thats where our vet is, and I like the selection of dog toys... But I try not to buy pets from chain stores... I rescue more often then not, except for our chicks which we got at our LFS.

We've had issues with PetCo here... They don't care for a lot their animals properly... We bought a female chameleon that was housed with a male for over a year, but had no place to lay eggs and became egg bound :(

So.. we order our dog food and ferret food online (with free shipping from amazon prime! woohoo!) and our LFS keeps us supplied with JUST about anything our chicks need... We only go to petsmart now when Adelle or DeeDee have vet appointments, and they usually get a treat on the way out
wink.png

The Petsmart here has all the fish in "too small" aquariums...but if you actually look at the set-up they are all flow through aquariums. There is only one large water supply and filter, not separate individual aquariums.

I have seen much worse conditions for fish at small independently owned pet stores. The exception to this is stores that specialize in fish. Personally I can't stand Petco. They sell cats and dogs that come from puppy mills and the cat version of puppy mills.

In San Diego Co, and I think all of California, neither Petco nor Petsmart sells puppies or kittens, or rabbits. They do adoptions with local rescues only. They do sell rats and hampsters (also often rescues or relinquished to them) and a few birds, not many.
Pretty much the same in Arizona. All cats & dogs are adoptions from various rescues, and have a history of each individual animal as well as the name of the rescue organization. Both sell birds, fish, a few reptiles, rats, mice, gerbils and hamsters. Cages are always clean. I know a few people who have worked at PetSmart, and they are very particular about both customer service and animal care.

If the fish were being permanently housed, larger tanks might make sense, but they are for sale, and expected to be sold in a relatively short timeframe. Keeping them in large tanks with a low density of fish makes no sense. Ditto for the betas. Most are male, and it put in tanks together will fight and kill each other. In the wild, betas do not live in a large area--they maintain a very small territory.

There were literally 25 koi in like a 10 gallon tank. Not full grown, but still.. Claustrophobic much?
The fact that they sell little 1 quart containers as permanent homes for the bettas bothers me.

Last edited:
I was told here in Indiana that all petsmarts sell cats from humane societies (or rescues aspca's or whatever is the equivalent type setting in the states and communities they are in) the cats they have in essence you pay the humane societies normal fees and agree to their terms of adoption as if you picked them up personally at the shelter. I was told this was to prevent getting them from a puppy mill or dishonest breeder and to supply their customers the pets they want in an ethical manner.

"Personally I can't stand Petco. They sell cats and dogs that come from puppy mills and the cat version of puppy mills."

No they don't I think you are confused. They have adoption days were you can adopt a cat or dog from a charity. Like forgotten felines & gray hound help, thats when they sell cats or dogs, & they dont keep that money, the charity does. Pretty much they let a charity come in & use part of the store. But they don't sell cats & dogs. They actually support a charity that tries to stop that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom