pet vs farm chicken?

mickeymousears

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
SLO; CA
Quick question: does anyone know if there is a distinction legally between a PET chicken versus a farm flock?

Perhaps you've read my other post about the visit from the city code enforcer (still waiting on the second visit) but my husband thinks that because our 2 chickens/ducks/rabbits are pets and not farm animals we can skate around the law the idea came when we rehomed our beloved rooster and the new owner was concerned because her chickens live on a huge ranch and my rooster was a pet - use to coming in the house getting treats being cuddled etc. -she wasn't sure how well he would adjust.

I have been also wondering if their could be a difference between Bantam and LF...since most laws are written for lf birds of at least five pounds wouldn't a 6 lb lf be equal to 3 - 2 pound birds

lol.png

Most legal codes define what is considered a pet or a farm animal to avoid the confusion you are talking about. The only people that can accurately answer your question are people that are looking at your specific legal code. Just one or two excerpts are often not enough. Quite often there are different sections you need to look at. Your public librarian might be able to help you research it.

Well there are grey areas everywhere.
Its like saying you have a pet cow, and not a farm cow.
I think thats been deputed before and won.
Play the obsessive pet owner, no one wants to deal with that XD

I'm saying until you see it you don't know. If you can show a section in the regulations that is in your favor when they come out, you have a better chance than just setting on your hands, wishing and hoping. Take charge. Be proactive. Try to help yourself.

One way to skirt the pet vs farm animal is to use the chicken as a therapy pet. I have seen articles in our Sacramento bee paper of gal that takes her silkies around to elderly homes and uses them as therapy animals. Animals used for therapy come under different rules.

Back
Top Bottom