Petrified poop

Beaglegal

Songster
Sep 8, 2019
Western Washington
My flock of chickens and ducks were included in the purchase of my house. Looking around inside the coop, many of the surfaces are covered in petrified poop. There is even an old wooden hay feeder that they have rooster on and pooped all over. What is the best way to clean and sanitize the coup that has that level of poop build up? Any tips appreciated.

I'd wear a mask and take a paint scraper to it. Then sweep everything out. Not much else you can do with chickens living in it. Then you can put poop boards under the roosts, and remove the old hay feeder so they have to stick to the roosts. Maybe build a separate area for the ducks.

Should I wipe it down with anything? I feel like the poop has probably soaked into the wood.

Should I wipe it down with anything? I feel like the poop has probably soaked into the wood.
You can if it makes you feel better. There are animal safe disinfectants, but really, anything in that poop would be stuff the chickens have been exposed to already. It would be a good idea to check the chickens well for mites/lice, as it sounds like the previous owners were somewhat lacking in their husbandry practices. If you find signs, you will want to spray the birds and the coop with permethrin.

My flock of chickens and ducks were included in the purchase of my house. Looking around inside the coop, many of the surfaces are covered in petrified poop. There is even an old wooden hay feeder that they have rooster on and pooped all over. What is the best way to clean and sanitize the coup that has that level of poop build up? Any tips appreciated.

That's kind of the way chickens and other livestock have been kept for thousands of years. You don't want the poop to build up because that can stink and poop build-up can lead to diseases, so there are limits. It's been more recent where chickens are now considered pets and people that never grew up with chickens, horses, cows, or other livestock and keep pets like dogs in the house that people have become obsessed with cleanliness. To me that level of cleanliness is not natural but there are many people where a high degree of cleanliness is desired. Obviously the previous owners did not share that. Even if you consider them livestock there are limits. I don't know how bad what you have really is. I suspect I've seen worse growing up in a small farm area all those decades ago.

If it were me I'd check for mites and lice, maybe get a vet to check a fecal sample for worms. Check to see if you do have a problem. If you do, deal with it. As for cleaning I'd scrape the dried poop off, either a scraper or a wire brush. Wear a face mask, that dust is not good for you to breathe. You may want goggles. Take a bath afterwards. I don't know how conducive that area is to actually washing with soap and water. To me that would be unnecessary and may not be practical anyway. That may be a pretty large area.

I personally would not try to disinfect unless I was specifically treating something. As mentioned, they have already been exposed to anything present and, if they are healthy, their immune systems are strong enough to handle it. If you do use anything to disinfect it, air it out well before you allow the chickens or ducks back in. Maybe even set up a fan to clear it out. Poultry have sensitive breathing systems and can be affected at fairly low concentrations. You don't want to harm them by truing to help them, especially when they don't really need the help.

Back
Top Bottom