Petting there back to see if they squat...what does this do?*pic added

Now, there's a difference to crouching and "squating". When they squat they will have their wings out slightly, as if to help balance a rooster. Occassionally one of my girls will even do a rapid stomping of her feet at the same time. If they are just crouching they won't hold their wings out. Mine crouched when they were too young but started squating once they reached maturity. They still crouch sometimes when I'm in with them and go to pet them once in a while, but the majority of the time the first attempt to pet them results in squating.

Interesting discussion because my only squatter is my best layer also. I always thought it was because she was the most immature when we lost our rooster and therefore didn't remember him and was able to accept me as her "rooster". But maybe it is hormones?

Quote:
Yours are going to wait until you build their new house.
lau.gif
Did you guys ever make a decision on the wallpaper for the nesting area?

LOL, don't let him fool you. He loves those chickens as much as I do!

But back on topic, my squatters would spread their wings wide, and point their tail straight up in the air. They seemed to like it if I would pet them from the shoulders down to the tail, and squeeze the tail a little at the end of the stroke. They would stamp their feet and shiver. It was so cute. I can't wait for my new babies to get to that age. But for now, I'm enjoying the 3 week olds!

When I put my hand on Foxy (or Roxy we can't tell them apart so we just named them close names) She squated down and put out her wings a little. Tonight I also noticed that she was pecking threw there run fence (2x4 welded wire) adn the other chickens ran over to see what she was trying to get and once stepped on her and she squated down and opened up her wings and just stood there with her head out and back flat. Then it was like she snapped out of it and started pecking again.

Here she is
100_2401.jpg

**the picture makes her neck feathers look pointy but that is just the way the light made them look, they are all rounded.

Last edited:
I know the squatting is a submission thing, but here's a couple of anecdotes:

I had a golden sex link (now deceased) who became sick. She stopped squatting at the same time she stopped laying due to illness. At first rather than squat she simply ran away. Then she begame more listless, and she did not run away, but she didn't squat either. She never squatted or laid again.

I have a cuckoo Marans who became ill shortly after the sex link died. She stopped squatting that same day, and did not resume squatting again for 6 weeks, although the illness lasted only about 2 weeks. She laid eggs again very shortly again after beginning to squat.

I know it's submission, but in my hens at least it seems to be a specific *kind* of submission, not to be confused with, say, the submission of a lower wolf to the dominant wolf. It seems to be specifically a sexual submission, only when they are sexually receptive.

Interestingly, my hens will do this even for my children - my 6 year old came in from collecting eggs last night, proudly proclaiming that "Sugar did the good-girl squat for me!" so I guess we all count as roosters as far as the chicken is concerned. Either that or she's just terribly confused!
lol.png

Quote:
So, you don't know squat?
gig.gif

Seriously, it is only a sign of submission, and that you are the boss chicken. My black aussies are the sweetest natured of the 4 breeds I have. They were the shyest too and slower than the barred rocks or Rhodies to make friends. Least friendly were the gold sex links (buff comets). All but one or two squat when I reach towards them.

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
Guess not.
lau.gif

RM44~ Thank you I love my BA. I didn't think I would like there plain black feathers when I ordered them but they are anything but plain when the sun hits them. They are very sweet and my kids can carry them around even though they are just about bigger then my youngest.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom