Pew Pew Pew Pew

So glad yours arrived. Mine are stuck in transit and no one will tell me why it takes more than 24 hours to move them a couple hundred miles. *grrr* So I'm taking a second day off work to sit at home and wait for them (much to my boss's annoyance).

Mine showed up! Cute as the dickens. One didn't make it, but the others seem fine.

Glasd you got yours! It is exciting to have chickens for the first time. I have never had them and I think I got my wife to say they are cute, but it was followed by Kittens are bute to but they turn into cats.....hinting at the chicks will be chickens soon.

She is not ready for the mini farm, heck neither am I but I'm going to give it a good effort to be as self-sufficient. Which is why I am making a log cabin coop from trees that I have on the property. Only thing I will need to buy is some roofing material, I'm not splitting shingles to cover the roof. Going to go with a metal roof.

Mine are doing good from what I can tell, they really react to my voice, not sure in a good way. Almost like, "who's there" and they move away from the side I am standing on. They do come running when I put my hand in the brooder and wiggle my fingers, kind of funny and cute. Some like to be petted and other's have no interest in being touch at all. My Easter Egger (we hope that's what it is) doesn't like to be touched at ALL!

All and all, I'm enjoining this.

One question: When is a good time to let the chicks start walking on pine shaving? Mine are on puppy bass right now, didn't want to use newspaper. Read somewhere that is can be slick and cause leg problems.

Thanks in advance.

I have mine on shelf liner over paper towels. They're already at least a week or two old though. Clearly not day old when sent (which is fine with me, that much sooner I can put them in the coop!). I would give them a few days to a week before adding shavings, but if they're finding their food with no problem, you can probably add shavings when ever you want.

They all found the food within an hour or so of being in the brooder. I dipped each chicks beak in the water, then sat them in front of the food tray. I also put some food on the pads for them to pick at. So far all look to be eating and drinking. In less than 24 hours they have drank a quart of water so far, I did put Probiotic and electrolytes in it. Going to use just probiotic on the next jugs then just fresh water after that, I hope that is right.

Back
Top Bottom