"Phantom" egg laying?

Noble Rooster

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
NY
So last week one of my girls had some sort of issue that seemed to involve slight crop impaction (which has resolved with oil and massaging), and while she wasn't feeling well she laid a shell-less egg plus shell separately. She hasn't laid since (which doesn't matter because now she seems to be feeling completely better), but this morning there she was on the nest box, working away. After her usual length of time (she likes to lay and then hang out for a bit), she hopped down like "OK, done!" and joined the others. I checked the nest box and ... no egg!
idunno.gif
She is not behaving like an egg-bound bird and seems perfectly comfortable physically now. Is it possible her system is just confused and when the others lay she thinks she needs to as well, but there's nothing there? I'd rather not lube up and check her oviduct since the poor thing has been through enough this past week and she truly seems fine otherwise, but I can. Has anyone else experienced this? I know she's not hiding the egg because everyone stays inside until laying time is over. Thanks in advance!

I try to give my girls a week or so after they are sick to get back into the habit .. My lil Bantam Partridge Cochin (Lil Bit) will act like she layed an egg after being down , she even does the egg song (silly lil thing)

Thank you, CoopCrazy. We'll see how she does. It really doesn't matter to me whether she lays again since she's my favorite and I'm just glad she's OK. I thought the behavior was interesting, though.

That happens every once in a while with my birds, too. They "think they have to go" lay an egg, but nothing happens. As long as she's doing well, I'd leave her be. If after several days she doesn't lay, or if she acts like she's not well, then you can investigate.

We all take a day off now and then.
smile.png

I have had this happen too. Sitting in nest, egg song and everything and no egg. I wouldn't worry.

Me too, I have a couple that will hang out on the nest for 2-3 hours and then not leave an egg. This happens once in a while.
hu.gif
I guess they just like to practice sitting on the nest.

Back
Top Bottom