Pheasant aging

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Cfaure, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Cfaure

Cfaure Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    Vryburg North West
    Hope someone can help me.How do you determine the age of a male pheasant (Silver)?

2. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Good Morning Cfaure!

This proven method of determining your pheasants age is quite simple,but not exact. First off examine your pheasants wing and pull it outward from its body. From there, you would focus on the outer feathers of the wing the "primaries". If some of the feathers are dull or starting to molt your pheasant is probably old and if they are vibrant and strong you have a young pheasant. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to determine its exact age but this is as close as I can get.

Hope this helps,
    ~ Sunshine Ducky

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Never heard of such a thing.If the feathers are dull or starting to molt.That doesn't make them old.It means their ready to molt!Pheasants can live up to 25 years and some even longer if their lucky.Most are fertile right up to the end.
    This is why I keep records of where,who and when I purchase birds.It also helps if you lose a bird and need to replace.You can check where you got them from so you don't get a related bird.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. Cfaure

Cfaure Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    Vryburg North West
    The problem is the people we got the Silver pheasant from has got NO idea how old he is. They say he is 30 years old, but they dont even live that long. So I cant go on there word. I was just wondering if he will still be fertile. I got him in a cage with 2 females. Wish me luck that he is fertile.

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I know 2 people that have had silvers live to 26 years and 24 years and were fertile right to the end..I can't believe anyone would even sell a bird that is that old.
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. 007Sean

007Sean Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    I agree, Tony. Anybody that has raised and protected a bird that long would be crazy to sell it. IMHO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by