Pheasant aviary design

PiningCitySlicker

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham, AL/Miami, FL
I am building an 8'x12'x7' aviary and was wondering if I could possibly raise a pheasant or pheasant pair in an aviary like that. Most designs I see for pheasant habitat require a long flight pen, but since I would be raising these just to maturity for meat and feathers would that still be necessary? I want happy pheasants, but their ability to fly won't be a factor (I doubt my spunky springer pup could flush a pheasant anyways).

I am building an 8'x12'x7' aviary and was wondering if I could possibly raise a pheasant or pheasant pair in an aviary like that. Most designs I see for pheasant habitat require a long flight pen, but since I would be raising these just to maturity for meat and feathers would that still be necessary? I want happy pheasants, but their ability to fly won't be a factor (I doubt my spunky springer pup could flush a pheasant anyways).
What is the aviary mainly going to be for, and how many other birds would be in it?

Depending on how many pheasants you are wanting to raise to butcher size, an 8' x 12' x 7' pen would only big enough for maybe 10 birds...and that's stretching it, and also expect losses due to aggressive birds. A pair would be ok in that size pen, even a trio, if by themselves, with no other birds in the pen.
Raising 3 separate species of birds in that size pen is highly not recommended.

I would agree with 10, but only if they have blinders on. Also if you get too many pheasants together the back and tail feathers are the first thing they pick off eachother.

Back
Top Bottom