How often do they call? They sound somewhat like a wild bird. They are just so beautiful!

They call quite often during breeding season when they're trying to attract a mate, but outside of that, they can be pretty quiet. That's experience with my pheasant anyway.

Since I didn't get any complaints about the quail crowing constantly I would hopefully be able to keep the pheasants too. Do you have a picture of their enclosure?

After some research I'm really interested in these birds! Sorry for so many questions but:
What are the size requirements to house a pair or trio? I've seen a variety of different sizes. I want to give them plenty of space but at the same time don't want the aviary taking up my whole yard lol.
I need to make sure they are unrelated if i want to breed them, but theres also something about them being hybrids?

After some research I'm really interested in these birds! Sorry for so many questions but:
What are the size requirements to house a pair or trio? I've seen a variety of different sizes. I want to give them plenty of space but at the same time don't want the aviary taking up my whole yard lol.
I need to make sure they are unrelated if i want to breed them, but theres also something about them being hybrids?

Happy to help with any questions as much as I can.

I'm pretty sure it's 5 square foot per bird, but it's a good idea to give them max space you can. I have mine in a coop I built out of my old garden bed, they seem pretty happy in there.

I would try and find a reputable breeder to get them from. You definitely don't want to breed siblings. You also want to find a breeder who breeds pure birds. There are many breeders who have golden and lady amherst pheasant hybrids that they sell as goldens. I don't particularly like the idea of hybridization in pheasants as it is not really helpful to either species. You either produce sterile birds that are essentially useless, or you produce breeding hybrids that just mess up pure bloodlines of these precious birds. Not to mention in my opinion, pheasants are beautiful enough, you don't need to make them prettier by crossing ;)

This is just my opinion of hybridization. I'm not trying to be provocative to anyone who does breed hybrids. I'm just sharing my thoughts :)

Hope I've been able to answer your questions well enough.

Happy to help with any questions as much as I can.

I'm pretty sure it's 5 square foot per bird, but it's a good idea to give them max space you can. I have mine in a coop I built out of my old garden bed, they seem pretty happy in there.

I would try and find a reputable breeder to get them from. You definitely don't want to breed siblings. You also want to find a breeder who breeds pure birds. There are many breeders who have golden and lady amherst pheasant hybrids that they sell as goldens. I don't particularly like the idea of hybridization in pheasants as it is not really helpful to either species. You either produce sterile birds that are essentially useless, or you produce breeding hybrids that just mess up pure bloodlines of these precious birds. Not to mention in my opinion, pheasants are beautiful enough, you don't need to make them prettier by crossing ;)

This is just my opinion of hybridization. I'm not trying to be provocative to anyone who does breed hybrids. I'm just sharing my thoughts :)

Hope I've been able to answer your questions well enough.
I definitely agree on the hybrid thing, as I think that keeping animals in captivity can be important to conservation and we should be keeping the bloodlines pure.

20191005_113553.jpg

This is my melanistic mutant named Carlos. In the background is Ringer the ring neck Male and Franny the ringneck female.

Back
Top Bottom