Pheasant chick broke his leg! HELP!

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by EriRojas, Oct 10, 2013.

1. EriRojas

EriRojas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    California
    So I was showing my Melanistic Mutant Chick and he jumped out of the aquarium we had him in. And he hurt himself when he fell to the floor I heard a popping sound. Like when you break a chicken bone in half. He can't walk now his leg is all broken I can feel it, it's broken in the upper part right before it is connected to the body. How can I fix it? What can I do? Can I give it anything for the pain? I don't want it to die.... Please help.

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Your gonna have to give him a little splint, then vitamin B complete in his water, it will take some time before the leg heals, but you will need to split it so that is heals straight. Baby asprin is good for pain but really you don't want to give him anything for the pain, because if he has something for the pain, he's liable to start using it causing more damages. it's best to let him feel some of the pain so that he learns to stay off of it until it heals..

Vet wrap is great for these kinds of things. wrap it up pretty good..

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    use some popsicle sticks to get it into place and wrap it with vet wrap. or something like popsicle sticks. he's probably got very little skinning legs so it's not going to take much maybe even qtips take the cotton part off, or leave it on, place on each side of the leg. even a straw will work wrap a straw around the broken area.

Just something so he can stand on it but not bend it. Need to keep it straight for a while..

4. pheasantfrenzie

pheasantfrenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Hello,
    I also had a chick a couple of years ago that broke his leg and he is now doing great so it will heal if you can stablize it. I also used a stick and vet wrapped it BUT you will have to keep the food and water close so he can get to it and you may want to keep him by himself so that the others don't peck at him and do more damage. Also VERY VERY important that you don't wrap it to tight so that the circulation gets cut off and he ends up losing the leg anyway resulting in having to put him down.
    Good Luck

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    AGREE!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by