Pheasant chick with bad leg- How to help?

DaFluffy14

Hatching
Jun 6, 2020
Hi, I’m new here. We have been incubating Lady Amherst pheasant eggs, and yesterday five hatched. Today, the last hatched. We had to help it because it made very little progress on its own after many hours. When it hatched, we noticed one of its legs was orientated weird. It won’t sit right, and it isn’t able to pull the leg out from behind so it can be underneath. It’s limp and the toes don’t seem right either. It’s only one leg, though. My dad thinks it’s dislocated. How should I go about fixing it? We can’t go to a vet at this time either.
1FFD4BC9-5496-4B64-B827-FDD3453D6EA4.jpeg
097AA2C7-A5B8-45EE-869C-4A6FE1D287E5.jpeg

Hi, I’m new here. We have been incubating Lady Amherst pheasant eggs, and yesterday five hatched. Today, the last hatched. We had to help it because it made very little progress on its own after many hours. When it hatched, we noticed one of its legs was orientated weird. It won’t sit right, and it isn’t able to pull the leg out from behind so it can be underneath. It’s limp and the toes don’t seem right either. It’s only one leg, though. My dad thinks it’s dislocated. How should I go about fixing it? We can’t go to a vet at this time either.View attachment 2181024View attachment 2181027
looks like a birth defect and may not be dislocated. if possible try to move it where it should normally be and get a popsicle stick and break it to where it fits the leg and kinda tape it to it where the chick doesn’t seem in discomfort so the leg may be able to grow normally and each day do leg therapy and move it a little.

I think it’s knee joint is just completely backwards due to a defect. If we were to twist the leg so it would be bending the right way, the foot would be facing up. Should we amputate the leg? Put it down? It can’t get around at all as it is. The eggs came from our adult pheasants that we raise, so maybe a vitamin deficiency caused this?

Back
Top Bottom