1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pheasant /chicken crosses

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by poultrykeeper08, Oct 9, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Does anybody have any of these ?

In the spring i am going to put a ringneck cock in with my laying hens and see what happens

Any one have any pics besides the one's on feather site

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I am a genetic freak, so I really am excited that you're going to do this!!!! Sorry I dont have any help for you. I tried searching this exact subject online...read it's been done, but never saw a chicken/pheasant picture i too want to see one!!!

I read that scientists actaully AI a quail to a chicken....and produced a quail chicken! NO pictures to show what this looked like either though i'd like to see.

I have 2 hen Button quails in with a batch of Coturnix quails, am sneakily hoping they reproduce naturally and I get some BQ/Coturnix hybrids. Hoping, to makea hybrid that's calmer like the Coturnix, yet more colorful like the BQs.

3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:wow, i love the phesant chicken cross (the dark one)! I don't have an interest in crossing a quail with a chicken but i am curious what it looks like hehe!

5. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    A chicken quail cross would be different lol

6. GertieBird

GertieBird Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Triad of NC
    so.....if i have a male white pheasant....are my hens in danger of being mated with? I have 2 banty hens, who hang close with my banty roo, an 2 standard hens (1 jersey giant and 1 wyandotte) who the roo does not seem to care for at this time (the standards are young). [​IMG]

7. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    He may breed with them he may not . I think its a luck of the draw .

The only case i ever heard of with a pheasant mateing a chicken is on feathersite and that pheasant was rasied by a hen frm a chick so maybe he thought he was a chicken and thats why he bred

Ya never know though

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I know my friend JJ (Napalongtails) crossed pheasants with her longtails, if I remember correctly the chicks were all weak and didnt live that long.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ringneck rooster will cross with game hens. Also have seen pics of a peacock cross with Guinea.

10. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I have a standard old english game hen . SO maybe i got a chance

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by