Pheasant egg questions.... UPDATE! Hatching!!

Kathryn4629

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Colbert, WA
Ok where to start....

Today I noticed a dead female pheasant in the road next to my driveway, was not there yesterday. While burning the ditch I found a nest with 14 eggs in it.. There were feathers everywhere around the nest, so I think something killed the female during the night and drug her out into the road.. Three of the eggs were cracked, so I opened them up and they were just barely starting to vein.

So I have 11 eggs in the incubator: I set the temp at 99.5 and am working on the humidity.

What should the humidity be at during incubation?
Do I up the humidity during the hatch like chickens?
Can I use the auto turner? It would be great if I could since I have to leave for 7 days in about a week.
What do the chicks eat?
Do they need special supplements?

If I can get them to hatch I plan on releasing them back to the wild.

Helpful tips and tricks would be great!! In exchange I will keep you all updated on if they hatch or not
big_smile.png

Thank you soooo much!!
Kathryn

Last edited:
50-60% humidity is fine.. up it a little at the end and hatch them standing on end! they need 28%+ protein gamebird starter and an auto turner is fine
Keep them under a red light during the brooding stage and give them plenty of space and you should be fine.

The only problem I see is that the eggs might of been chilled to the point of 0 hatch rate, but never hurts to try!

Quote:
Thank you!

Yes I have been thinking that they might have gotten to chilly last night. But at least it was a very warm night for us, my thermometer says it only got down to 48 degrees. So I guess I will keep my fingers crossed.

Is it possible to candle them in about 10 days? To check for development.

You should be able to see development over time by candling. Wait a few more days and you will either see blood rings (bad) or a developing embyo. 24 days for me on my ringnecks. If the veins were just starting, call it 4-6 days. Stop turning them 15 or 16 days from now. I've had them hatch in the turner, while turning. Hopefully you'll have a surprise hatch.

UPDATE!!!

They are hatching!!! woo hooo!!!

Of course I am out of town and luckily my Mom is house sitting for me. She called this morning and said there is one chick out and 5 more are pipped.
wee.gif
Thats 6/11 showing activity. Not so shabby.

Question: Do I have her set up the brooder just like you would for chickens? Recommended temp? What kind of chick food do they need? Anything else I need to know?
wee.gif

I will update with pictures as soon as my Mom e-mails them to me. Oh gosh I want to be home NOW!

Yes they have to be in a brooder after they dry off.The tenp has to be 95 for the 1st week then drop 5 degrees a week for the next 4 weeks and they should be ok without heat.Gamebird un medicated crumbles are what I feed mine.You do not want layer mash for these guys.Give them vitamins and electrolytes in their water supply once a week until they are feather out.
Good luck.In N.H.,Tony.
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you so much for the info it was just what I needed. I ended up have my Mom use some alfalfa for bedding in the brooder. She said they seem to like hiding in it.

Oh and there are currently 6 chicks out and no other movement from the other eggs yet. I wonder how long I should have her wait to give up on the other eggs?

Back
Top Bottom