Pheasant owners!!

I have 1 white male random pheasant I found on the side of the highway 3 weeks ago. I shal be searching other thread for caring for said bird!

I have 7 Ringnecks.
big_smile.png

Ok, I need to update my list. I went and got the rest of the birds today. We were clipping wings so they wouldnt try to escape and someone opened a box that had a pair of reeves and they flew away and boy can they fly. Now they will probably be an expensive coyote dinner. Then the unsexed chicks werent what I was expecting them to be as far as gender.

Updated list of what I will be keeping through the winter

3 silver males, 6 silver females

1 pair reeves

1 pair red goldens

2 male, 3 female lady amhearst

1 normal, 1 melanistic, and one half and half ringneck females.

So for spring eggs I will have silvers and amhearsts, I plan on building my reeves and golden flocks up. I may or may not have melanistics, the only male I can get my hands on will be a normal ringneck.

Last edited:
Quote:
why clip the wings..all you have to do is put netting over your pens,and even if wings are clipped they will still try to escape and if they do they cant fly well enough to get away from predators..I never clip wings,it really isnt neccessary as you need to put tops on the pens anyway.As for sexing you can usually tell by 4 weeks or so what sex they are by eye color,at least for the goldens,amhearst silvers and ringnecks..not sure on the others as I dont have any of them,Dan will know,maybe he will see this and respond.

I clipped the wings so that they wouldnt try to fly away when I go into the pen. I have had ringnecks escape when I am in feeding and they hit the gate and they get out and fly off. I have netting over the top, I clipped the wings just to be safe.
I can tell the gender on the golden and yellow golden chicks, they are getting their spotted tails in on the males. It was kinda dissapointing that the yellows are all male and the red goldens there is one female out of 5 chicks. I will have to check the eye color on the silver chick, its plumage looks like a female still.

Quote:
Oh..I see..one thing you can try to tame them some is giving them treats and just sitting in the pen with them so they get used to you,mine come running towards me for treats,I feed them watermelons or squash or pumpkins,another thing they really like is wild bird feed,the stuff for finches,I just take a handfull every day or so and spread out on the ground..they get over the flightyness after a while and with a little patience.Really didnt seem to take too long,even the quail settled down reasonably this way,and they were WAY WILD when I got them,the guy I got them from is a great guy and knows his stuff but he sneakes around them so they dont get startled...heck I just act like my normal old self and figure they will get used to me,and they do.

To many to count, so I will list each type:

Red Golden
Yellow Golden
Cinnamon Golden
Dark Throated Golden
Splash Golden
Peach Goldens
Lady Amherst
Silver
Swinhoe
Edwards
White Crested Kalij
Malayan Firebacks
Bornean Firebacks
Siamese Firebacks
Grey Peacock
Palawan Peacock
Cheer
Reeves
Mikado
Ijima Copper
Elliots
Humes Bartailed
Blue Eared
Brown Eared
Impeyans
Koklass
Temminck Tragopans
Satyr Tragopans
Grey Junglefowl
Green Junglefowl
Ceylon Junglefowl

Ringnecks in:
Chinese
Jumbo
Green
Black
Buff
Red Buff
Buff Isabel
Blackneck
Alaskan Snow
Blue Alaskan Snow
Chinese Pied
Green Pied
Buff Pied
Chocolate
Blue
Silver

Also Francolins, Quail, Partridge, Grouse, Cracids, Peafowl, Chachalachas & I'm sure some I have forgot.

Randy www.spectrumranch.net or www.sosranch.net

Back
Top Bottom