Pheasant question

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
I'm just curious... maybe it's just co-incidence, but it seems that we either have pheasants around, or wild turkeys. There never seems to be both... So I have to wonder, is it possible that they don't like to share territory? I know that there are some colors that turkey toms don't like (such as blue), maybe they go after pheasants because of the bright coloring? Any thoughts?

Don't they each prefer a little different environment?

Aren't turkey's for woods/forest environment and pheasants more of a fallow field with 4 foot tall grass??

I don't hunt each of them in the same place....

Last edited:
Don't know about different environment... We don't really have forests here unless you consider shelter belts. We had pheasants for a few years, then turkeys for a few, now back to pheasants... Mom in PA always had pheasants, the last few years they had turkeys show up (never saw them at her place before) and she hasn't seen or heard any pheasants since. I just find it curious...

Pheasant population changed here in pa do to the way farmers farm there fields, not so many hegde rows left, also with the hawks having a big come back, not much can get away from these air preds..Years ago they could be shot legally..not anymore...now there are 1000's of them in pa

Also, alot of trappers and yote & fox hunters can be thanked for keeping the turkey populations thriving.

Thanks
Charlie

I'm in need of some insight on wild pheasant population density. How many pheasants can 20 acres support? The land is ideal pheasant habitat, it's CRP field and cattail marsh with a creek. The property is surrounded by large farm fields for food.

Back
Top Bottom