pheasant questions-ohio

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hi,
I am wondering about pheasants in ohio, read someone say your not allowed to buy or sell them without permit in ohio?
Where do you get a permit?
What does that entail?
Can you buy them from a hatchery when they are chicks like chickens?
Can you sell the meat? are the good to eat?
Thanks,
Angela

Yes you do have to have a permit. If you have one before you call about a permit they have to know where you got it. The permit I believe is 25 dollars. Call your co. extensions office and they will send you the form for permit. If you bough any off of a seller you must have their name address and permit #. The man I bought mine from told me that they were really good to eat and that he had cooked them all kind of ways. Like chicken. If I were you call about a permit before buying any so that you will know all of the details. I hope this has helped you. I bought mine before I knew any of this. It all sound like a control thing and a money racket. If you sell any pheasants or eggs you have to write down who you sold them to..some paper work is involved. DJ You can not release them into the wild.

Last edited:
Where do you find out information about getting a license? I searched all over the ODNR site, to no avail. They do offer a small page on pheasant care, but nothing about breeding laws.

Quote:
Go back on that site and get their contact phone number that'll be your best way to get an offical quick responce and they'll probably send you out a permit application
smile.png

Horsechick, where you are located you need to contact.
Division of wildlife
District five, #937-372-9261.

If you want to sell birds or eggs your cost would be 45.00 per year for the permit.

The Game Ward from your area will come and may sure your paper work is proper. Must keep track of all birds sold, eaten,died, or released.

You can released pheasants ,but not wild turkey here in Ohio

There are two permits:

one is a personal use I believe $25.00 or $30.00 (sry can't remember)

second is commercial use $45.00 (needed to sell anything with them)

The permit you need sent to you is a propagation permit and you choose which one you want (per or comm) check box, enter info, send money.

Hi Katie Jo & Horsechick,

I've crossed this bridge recently trying to find out the regs here in OH. Here is the link to the ODNR Publications section. You'll need to scroll down and find "Laws: Wild Animal Propagation and Related Activities" http://ohiodnr.com/tabid/20241/Default.aspx
There
is a section in this publication that lists the types of game birds requiring a state permit. Then the fees are given as well. You might want to wade through this and then call.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom