Pheasants and chickens together?

This question is asked at least 3 times per month on here.People ask for advise,it's given and they don't listen to it."No,chickens and pheasanst can not not be housed together".Chickens carry diseases that pheasants can not tolerate.They will look like all is fine,and then one day your pheasants are dead with no signs.No they can not be housed together!Or even in adjoining pens.They need to be away from each other.I bet this same question will be posted again in 2 days.Sorry if I sound like a jerk,but it has been answered everytime it is asked and all that has to be done is read the post and take the advise given if you want to keep your birds alive.
In N.H.,Tony.

So Tony...I don't mean to be a jerk and I do respect your opinion and experience on the subject but based on other members experience there is a chance that the two species can share a common space. I understand that in your experience perhaps the pheasants got ill and die but every rule is meant to be broken and to have an exception.
I asked you in another thread with the same question, if you say the two birds can't live together because they will eventually die, then can you give me an idea from your experience of the time it took the pheasant to get sick and die? Is it when they pheasants are chicks? Adults or it can happen anytime...let's say someone who has kept a pheasant and chicken together for 5 succesful years is bound to have that pheasant die out of the blue?
Also this is my chicken, she is the foster mom for my two pheasants, so should I just let them die? I don't have a brooder nor the money to buy one...so what should I do?

I have never raised chickens and pheasants together.I was told by reputable pheasant breeders and I listened to them.I don't want to destroy any bird due to my own doings.If you scroll down,on this page alone it is posted (counting this post) 3 times.Yes,they can live together,but the pheasants will die.How soon?Who knows,but why chance it?Keep them seperate and all will be fine.Can bantams hatch out pheasant chicks?Absolutely,they are the best to hatch pheasant chicks,but,even when raised by their parents,when the pheasant chicks sees you,it's first instinct is to run,and usually keep on running.If you have them penned in,make sure there are absolutely no holes anywhere in your pen so they can not get away.
In N.H.,Tony.

Can you house them together? Sure. Is it recommended? No, for the reasons Tony stated. Some people may luck out and not have any problems. If you want to take the chance, go ahead. Just be aware of the possibilities. Everyone has to look at the risks and make the decision they feel OK with.

Yeah,but you never hear anyone post on here,my pheasants died for no apparent reason.I had them in with my chickens and everyone was doing great.And that's because people that don't listen to warnings and when they lost their birds,they can't blame themselves for not taking good advice.
In N.H.,Tony.

I didn't in any way mean to sound like I recommend it - I don't. Just that some people will do it anyway. Their decision, their loss when something happens. It's true that no one will say "I didn't listen to the advice I was given and all my birds died."

I have housed pheasants, chickens and rabbits together. I housed my ducks separately. I never had a problem of disease or any kind of bullying even though I had two REALLY big roosters. I had golden pheasants, lady Amherst, ringneck and a constantly varying amount of rabbits. I had this set-up for years.

The one thing the kept the bullying non-existant was my stately, aloof, extremely large ringneck cock.
He was hand-raised and mellow beyond belief. He was afraid of nothing. Probably because he had spent some of his formative years riding around on the dash or rear deck of my car.

He was the king of the pen. Nobody was allowed to get into a fight. Rabbits like to fight a lot. Attila (ringneck cock) watched over everything and if a squabble started he would jump down and smack the combatants on top of the head and go back to his Roost.

I raised a golden male with a chick because neither of them had any siblings survive. They grew up together in a tupperware storage container and then moved outside to live with the yard chickens.

If anybody would care to document with verifiable sources just what diseases that cause problems between chickens and pheasants I would be happy to peruse them.

Somebody told me just never has worked for me. I need proof from a reliable source. Like and agricultural college or veterinarian.

I've always had this belief that just because somebody owns a Chevy they know all about it.

This is how I keep the pheasants now....

This is midget. She is almost three. She has lived in the house from the day she hatched. She is a female Golden.
She laid her first eggs this year. She was the only egg that hatched so she was raised alone and socialized with humans. She spent her early months sitting on my wrist while I worked on the computer. Her only friend (animal) is our parrot. She attacks the peacocks and she is not big enough to keep the fight up so she will stay in the house until..........................................

Back
Top Bottom