Pheasants breeding age??

dm farms you made a good point ,if the birds are an early hatch then they should produce the first yr vs them being a late hatch. im glad you brought that up i did not even think of that one what i said was just in my experince and what i have been told but that was a good point

Last edited:
Thanks guys!! I appreciate your help. Now, what do you mean early hatch? Like march? I have some eggs that are due to hatch in the middle of may. that wouldn't be an "early hatch"? right?

May Would Still Be An Early Hatch... Out Of May You'd Likely Get Eggs From Them Next Yr-- Mid To Late Spring Here In Florida... Wether Or Not Fertile? That Remains To Be Seen And I Do Beleive Alot Depends On The Individual Birds... Some Roos Figure Things Out Quicker
smile.png

Now you've all got my curiosity up.

Last summer (about mid-July 1) we picked up some Red Golden Chicks. By December the hens (8 hens out of 9 chicks) were dropping eggs all over the pen. Then in early January they stopped. Just in the last week or so they have started again. Could they be fertile?

Will Red Goldens sit on a clutch? Mine seem to be dropping eggs all over the pen but not in a nest. Even my 2 year old pair seem to be doing this.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

Anyone?
Also, what months do golden pheasants lay in? Mine started early April. How long do they lay?

my yellow gold is last yrs birds males not colored out yet. 4 hens and 2 cocks is in a pen that ihad chickens in a few yrs. back, and it has 2 hen nest off the ground about 30 ihches. they all use the nest to lay in went out last week to get eggs and 1 hen has been setting on eggs for about a week. so for i have hatched 10 out of thier fist 12 eggs and have about another 30 eggs in bator now

I picked up my Red Goldens in early August last year that were June hatchers and the females have been laying for a month (early April). I had them under a bantam hen and 9 out of the 10 have hatched today and it's still possible the last one will.

The RG hens seemed to have no interest in nesting or going broody and generally dropped them all over the cage, but the eggs were definitely fertile and viable. Out of 4 RG 11 month old hens I average about 1 egg per day.

Back
Top Bottom