Pheonix Thread

Pics
Kinda. The ones I get from hatcheries are not nearly as nice as the ones I've raised and are nothing compared to ones others here have. That hen is like 7 or 8 generations from a hatchery bird by this point.
I guess I'll have to find a breeder, once I have the space for my Mass Chicken Operation™. They are now on my must have list, they are amazing!

I guess I'll have to find a breeder, once I have the space for my Mass Chicken Operation™. They are now on my must have list, they are amazing!

Here's an older picture of my male. He's the brother/husband/father ect. Of everyone but the two hatchery pullets. So unfortunately a lot of the chicks now I get can't be kept even if they're hens. Hence the break down and hatchery ones to bring outside blood in. I'm the only person with any type of quality Pheonix within a reasonable driving distance here

20200530_122917.jpg

I thought I would check in... I have been pretty busy with going back to work, children and more. The Pheonix we hatched are doing fine, but they are in a separate pin from the rest of flock... still monitoring other flock, lost every Pheonix in that flock to the respiratory disease... I hope everyone is safe, finally can breathe as smoke and ash have cleared... though someone started a fire on the other side of the river this afternoon, fire department got it put out.

I have had 5 batches hatch, hopefully no more this year as it's already getting chilly at night. I have 3 hens (not including young pullets born in april) I will allow to raise chicks next season, 1 I'm not sure about as she's had mixed results thanks to the last hen who will no longer hatch nests if I can help it. She has a habit of roping other hens into caring for her babies and then leaves them to try and make a new nest. She abandoned 4 perfectly fine day olds to go and hatch out more eggs instead of calling them back with her, and tried to steal other babies from a good hen. (Rant over now)

However, including ones I don't wish to keep (Anyone near Billings, MT looking for some, especially roosters let me know) I have about 30 of these bids now, including an odd down on one [apart from normal feathers coming in, i would have insisted it was a silkie], 3 whites, one white with a red spot on its head and one that has a white chest and normal coloring otherwise.

Thinking one of my 2 pullets i bought is actually a silver so that might be interesting

Now for pictures:
20200919_182747.jpg
Ignore the black chick 20200917_194053.jpg
The 'silkied' chick (doesn't show well on screen though, bit it's just a very dense, and slightly linger fluff) 20200911_195717.jpg one the whites and then the white chested one (the little boy) 20200911_193101.jpg
Two cockerel from the one I won't allow and the one I'm not sure (both times the hens coopted.a nest so I'm not sure who's they are 20200911_193409.jpg (the one with a red spot)

So supposedly people claim you can sex wildmarked chicks. Anyone have evidence you can?

Also wanted to show off my oldest chick trio. All full blooded siblings, I promise.

I have noticed so far that all my white chicks (had 4, now I have 3 cause one decided to go for a swim 😣😭) have kept their orange legs and are all female. Just a curious notice

20201009_192051.jpg
20201009_192045.jpg
20201009_192009.jpg

I'm curious too about the patch of color I got on this white girl

Back
Top Bottom