Phobia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Phobia, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Phobia

Phobia New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    My roommate just brought home a single chicken home as a pet. The chicken roams freely in our backyard. Problem is I have extreme fear and anxiety of chickens so now I can't hang my clothes to dry ( saving money on electricity ). I know I cannot be comfortable with chicken around. Why? Who cares that's just what happens when I get around chickens. Ideas?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Ah, now I get your user name. What is the origin of that phobia for you? There are BYC threads that address that as well if interested???

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here. I am sorry you seem to be suffering a case of Alektorophobia! I might just try exploring the forum, perhaps looking at the ''Pictures and stories of my chickens'' page see peoples stories about their chickens, looking at pictures of them. I also found this link, you may find it helpful.

http://modernfarmer.com/2016/03/alektorophobia-fear-of-chickens/

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    @Yorkshire Coop used to have a phobia but now she is a chicken addict and breeder. Hopefully she may be able to give you some tips or at least relay her story of phobia to fanatic! I hope this chicken is able to win your heart and cure your fear. Sad that your flat mate has just one. Chickens are social flock creatures and usually prefer to have feathered companions.

Good luck making friends with your new neighbour. They really do make great pets with benefits.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I totally understand--phobias, especially "different" ones, can be awkward. I have many of them. I would maybe talk to your roommate and explain your phobia (called Alektorophobia, I believe). If your roommate insists on keeping the chicken, then I would try to find ways to calm yourself down around the chicken.

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Never encountered someone with a phobia like that, so I can't help you, sorry. But good luck in finding a solution to your problem!

7. Phobia

Phobia New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Thankyou

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I also deal with various phobias. If you want to get over this particular phobia - you could start by being around baby chicks - maybe at a feed store, or if someone has them. They are tiny and adorable - something you can get used to, as they grow you grow along with them.

Since your room mate's chicken upsets you so much, I think you need to talk to her. Explain your feelings and situation - she could help a lot by confining her bird to an escape proof run with a top. Over time you may be able to sit in a chair and observe the bird through the fence. Bit by bit, you could get closer when you feel more comfortable.

If that's as far as you go, that is still a big victory. Everyone is not cut out to have chickens, or dogs, or cats, whatever. If your roommate won't make some changes to accommodate you - you need to rethink suitability . If necessary, getting a different room mate.

9. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome @Phobia

Glad you could join us here! I really do know how you feel :hugs I was petrified of birds, any birds! Chickens were not my idea at all, my son and his Dad started out with them. The thought of chickens being in my garden filled me with dread and fear. But as time went on they grew on me. My top tip is to take your time and don't rush to do anything. For me it was a case just sitting and watching them at first. Then I moved on to putting some food through their run. Eventually I managed to stroke one through the wire. From then on things became easier.

Good luck and remember to take your time.

10. Phobia

Phobia New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Thankyou

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by