Photo of our two person processing setup

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bremsster, Aug 23, 2007.

1. bremsster

bremsster New Egg

Aug 23, 2007
    This the set up we have refined over the years since there is only two of us to get the work done. I use the inverted cone system for bleeding out the birds, two scalding pots fueled by propane and a Pickwick Plucker. If everything is going well I can turn out a plucked chicken every 3 minutes-(water temp can be a problem if its windy) My wife handles the gutting/chopping process, we both join in for the final check, wash and bagging. We keep it at 75 birds a day, start early and have the area cleaned up before the customers starting showing up at 4:00pm. We do between 150-300 birds a summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Brem......nice set up! So you sell the processed ones? Where are you located? Thats a LOT of chickens per season. I have GOT to get me one of those pluckers!!

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Looks very efficient and organized...wish you were in NC. I would raise some meat birds if I had a processor close by.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's a great set up. That must have run a fortune for start up. Do you sell them to the community?

5. bremsster

bremsster New Egg

Aug 23, 2007
    We're in Western Wisconsin, state allows us to do 1000 or less birds per year without inspection-this varies by state however. Our sales are to the foks around this area, runs about $2.00 lb dressed out. Most of the birds are sold to repeat customers.

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Where in Western Wisconsin are you? I grew up in Stoddard, just south of La Crosse...

7. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Very nice set-up.

What are the cones made from? Did you make them or buy them?

8. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I would love to send this to someone who has limited access to a computer in Oregon. He just started processing his own birds and I think he would love to see this set-up. It all looks so organized and clean. Thanks for posting that bremsster!

Can one of you computer geniuses help me out on how I can send this whole thing to him???? I fear I will never get caught up on my computer skills.[​IMG]

9. thebifman

thebifman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Great set up...you guys got it together!! I wish I was closer, I would be a customer for sure!

Brian

10. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for the detailed pics. That looks very effecient, and clean. I love the cooling barrels, awesome idea. Can I ask what the baskets on the table to the left are for?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by