(Photos) - New Hen...What is this?

dlongterry

In the Brooder
6 Years
Babe her has a few issues going on....we got her and 2 others a few days ago. The other two look fine. She eats, drinks and acts normal....Sometimes her Comb looks a bit purplish, but that comes and goes. The first is black and on her neck, The other is just above her tail feathers. The back she was really picking at herself and it was bleeding, but appears to be healing now.

Check for lice and mites. Give her a warm bath and dry her fully before putting her back out. The back part looks like maybe pecking? I'm not sure.. But do they have a spot to dust now? Spread wood ash where they dust.
You said you just got them? Do you know anything about what their previous lifestyle was as for coops/ roosters/ how much outdoor space they had?
I'm not an expert but I hope somebody who is comes along and helps )

Previous owner told me the Roo had been pretty rough on her the other two have a few feathers missing, but nothing like her. I saw where they lived and it is very clean hen house, free range most of the day, I do think she has been picked on, but not by the girls I have. She is submissive but she gets along good with her two hen mates here. I can't see any mites or lice, but then again I am not expert as I am new to chickens.

The rooster might have done that too her. If they were free ranged she probably dust bathed. Still, check for mice and lice around her eyes and vent.
Do you only have the three hens? :)

Yes, we only have the hens...no roos for us :) Her eyes and vent is very clean....thats why I can't figure this out. She is the least social of the girls so I was giving her a bit more time before I give her a bath.
in my experience they love baths! my silkie hated me before i gave her a bath and now she loves me : )

She was probably the favorite of the rooster. Some of them are just too much! My poor silkie cross is the favorite of three roosters and I have to kick them off of her all the time, it's crazy!

i love that apron! how did you make it?
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom