Photos..Severe Scaly Leg Mites!

Chick-a-roos

Songster
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Blue Ridge, GA
Ok...I will try not to make this a long story. I purchased some bantam cochin hens and unfortunately did NOT know I purchased scaly leg mites! Their poop appears to be normal. Diet: Purina flock raiser, mixture of different treats. Housing/Bedding: Coop with pine shavings/covered run. They do not free range. I have been treating for sometime now (several months).
he.gif

The following is different things I have tried: Wazine (unaware if they had been treated for any type of worms), followed by vaseline on their feet (very hard since feet are covered in feathers), cleaned the entire coop/replaced bedding....sprayed coop with Permetrol (Permethrin 10%) including roost, used Iver-on Ivermectin pour-on (5mg ivermectin/ml) 2 weeks following Wazine (3 drops to back of neck on skin), dusted coop/bedding with Hi Yield Poultry Dust (Permethrin 0.25%) and dusted chickens, used wood ashes in coop/nest box/run, also tried Adams flea/tick spray. I failed to mention that I had also soaked/washed their feet in Epsom salt/small brush when the weather was warmer. I have read/researched and treated until I don't know what else to do for these girls. I do have chickens that are with them and next to the run....they have also been treated but thank goodness no signs on them but I'm sure it will probably happen to the rest of my flock. Hopefully I have included all the information needed. Any recommendation needed!

and, Yes I know it looks terrible...that's why I am asking for help!
idunno.gif

33322_scaleylegmites.jpg

33322_scaleylegmites1.jpg

That's a bad case! Sounds like you are doing the right things but lets see what we can do.

First I would trim back some of the feathers so you can have good access to the feet. If you have flea and tick shampoo that would be the best product to use but if not shampoo will work. Soak their feet in warm water with the shampoo mixed in. Soak at least 10 minutes. The chicken will be restless but if you put some treats on the top of the sink sometimes they quiet right down. After soaking use a nail brush to gently scrub the feet while still in the water. Some of the buildup should come off. Get as much off as you can without damaging the skin or causing discomfort.

All of the buildup will not come off in one day. Don't try because you can damage the skin and an infection might settle in.

Rinse the feet well with warm water and pat dry. Let the feet dry well. Coat the feet with vaseline (it will help soften the buildup and smother any mites) and put her back in her coop. If there is no skin damage after the first cleaning you can mix poultry lice and mite powder with the vaseline and then coat the feet. If there are any mites alive and they try to escape this will kill them.

Repeat everyday until healthy feet are finally revealed It will happen. The build up you are trying to remove is mite poop that has accumulated for a long time.

The first picture you posted shows one of her toenails curving back into her foot. Maybe get a good look at that and trim it. She will really have problems with that.

How short can I trim the feathers? I have read about blood feathers so I don't want to just start cutting. I have never trimmed feathers. I had tried the feet soaking/washing but not everyday. So, I will begin the pedicures tomorrow. I had worried about doing this since the weather had changed. Can Iver-on be used again?

Thanks Purpletree, I did notice the long nails but thought I needed to resolve the mite issue first.
I will see what I can do with those nails tomorrow! I'm sure I won't be their favorite person tomorrow!
boy, I will have my work cut out for me.....don't think the DH will volunteer for this job!
sickbyc.gif

poor things!!! bless you for helping them!! Well i am not really educated on scaly leg mites but maybe some vetRX might help! Stuff is great to have on hand anyway. It will coat the legs , smells like vicks vapor rubb.
It nwill probally take awhile to get them back to some what decent feet. Just hang in their!
hugs.gif

The long nails are fine. I was concerned with one of them in the first photo. It looks like it is growing in a curve back into the skin.

I wouldn't give another dose of Ivermectin but others might have a different view.

The scales area a build up of mite poop. It will come off once it softens up with soaks. The mites hopefully are dead now.

Cut the feathers just a bit. You can tell blood feathers by the way the feather shaft darkens as it goes into the skin. I don't think you will have a problem if you cut 1/2 off the smallish feathers by the foot. It might even expose a build up on the leg.

If I were closer to GA I ould offer to help but I'm in NH. Anyone out there want to help Chick a roos this weekend????????

Come on everyone!!!!
big_smile.png

I had the same bad case in all my bantams they get them much easier that other breeds because their feet feathers get so dirty you might want to try the old home remedy it worked for me 1 part kerosene to 2 parts oil any type of oil I used motor oil mix it up and dunk their feet in this will suffocate the mites and best of all you don’t have to work around or cut their feathers off their feet(obviously don’t put them straight into a dust bath or dirty areas once you are done their feet so that the dirt doesn’t stick to their feet and cause dirt balls that can accumulate and break their toes
sad.png
). I know a lot of people scoff and think the "heavy chemicals" with effect the birds but all mine are completely cured but I still put Vaseline on every month now they are fine. I know from experience 1:2 kerosene and oil is the best method I have seen.
Hope it turns out ok,
fl.gif

Maddz
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom