Photos*** Who's teeth make this mark?

rachaelakers

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 2, 2013

My guess is it is some sort of rodent. I have not seen any rats or had any signs of rats. But we do have squirrels and lots of rabbits out by the coop. It just looked odd... And I cant seem to place what tried to get into the chicken feed. Anyone recognize these teeth marks?

It looks like squirrels to me. I have them all over the top of my feed bins as well. Little tree rats get up on my enclosed porch and try to chew into the cans. So far they haven't gotten in, but I know it's a matter of time. I used to have my feed in metal cans they couldn't get into but in the summer those get too hot and moisture collects in them so I got some big trash cans at Lowe's that are "supposed" to be critter proof. HA!

I agree with raccoon or something close in size.
The spacing is to wide for a rat or squirrel.

Too small for squirrel, its a rat or a chipmunk. I worked for the Institute of ecosystem studies in Duchess County NY and I had to identify animals by footprints and tooth marks. They are too big for a mouse, but they are too small for squirrel.

Red squirrels or pine squirrels as some call them aren't much bigger than a chipmunk if at all and they are responsible for this sort of damage by my place, not so much the large grey or fox squirrels, also I have had flying squirrels do this, I have caught them at it and they are quite small as well.

Back
Top Bottom