Photos... Worst ever scaly leg mites? Or something else?

rosie284

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 27, 2013
New Zealand
Hi everyone I'm new to byc, I have had chooks since I was little so know a bit about them, but not an expert!
Any how, I recently acquired a rooster, the last owner knew nothing about chooks and was too terrified of the darling boy to go within 5 feet of him. When I got him home I noticed his severely deformed legs and google led me here to some "scaly leg mite" threads. I have had three days of dipping his legs in oil and it seems to be loosening the scabby stuff already. Can someone just help me figure out if I am in fact dealing with scaly leg mites or something different entirely. Thanks in advance, I hope to get him better he has a fab personality :)
IMG]
P.s if anyone can give me an idea as to what breed he is I would be stoked, thanks!

He looks like a Salmon Faverolle rooster. He has a bad case of scaly leg mites. Soak his feet in warm epsom salts water to soften scales and loosen dirt and mite debris between the scales. Then use a toothbrush to gently scrub his legs between the loose scales as best as you can. Dry his legs well, then apply Nu-Stock liberally to both legs.

Yes, it is scaly leg mites and you are doing him a great service by getting rid of those bugs. They can cause amputation of toes etc. if not treated. Just make sure that you treat for 2 weeks if you keep using oil (or that your NuStock works for the whole 2 weeks- I have read great things about it - that it works for a long time, but have not used it) due to the life cycle of the mites.

Just so you know, I have treated it three times on three different birds, and on one of them using oil for 2 weeks had greatly improved her legs but the scales weren't back to normal. So I kept on treating and the oil I believe helped, as I had waited for a few days and it wasn't improving anymore, then started back with the oil and it helped again.

I also tried bag balm and it didn't seem to do as well as the oil.

Last edited:
I couldn't find anyone selling nu stock so am just keeping on with the oil for now, it's been nearly a week and the hard bits are falling off to reveal pink legs. He is so funny when I put him down after dipping his legs, bends right over and has a good look at my handy work!

Vaseline works just as well... it is messy to apply but very effective!

It takes some time to work but it does rid the chickens of the problem.

Suzie

I couldn't find anyone selling nu stock so am just keeping on with the oil for now, it's been nearly a week and the hard bits are falling off to reveal pink legs. He is so funny when I put him down after dipping his legs, bends right over and has a good look at my handy work!

Awww! I am sure he is grateful to be his old self again under all that!

Back
Top Bottom