PIC Dying Chick, please help :(

LilyandSparrow

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
Centralia, WA
We just received our chicks this morning from the hatchery. They were shipped out Monday and arrived today. We immediately provided grogel and then food (chick starter) and water. I checked all of them for pasty but and bathed/cleaned and gently dried the affected chicks.

One just died 6 hours after arrival--it was gasping and gasping for about 10 and it's head went all the way bent to it's back.

Not long after, I noticed this little baby was not looking right. She is not yet dead, even though it looks that way in the photo. What is it? Is there anything I can do or anything I need to do to prevent the others from suffering like this?

Shipping can cause a great deal of stress on chicks from dehydration, getting too hot or too cold, and rough handling. When this sort of thing happens, the best thing to do is to make sure they all get water with electrolytes and vitamins, and dip their beaks as often as you can today. Keep them at 90 degrees F in their brooder. Checking for pasty butt was good, since that can be a symptom of dehydration or getting hot. I'm hoping that no more will die.

Last edited:
Nutri-drench contains vitamins, electrolytes, trace minerals, and amino acids, but water should also be given with it, since the dosage of ND is only 1 ml per every 3 pounds of weight.

Thank you. I've been diluting it according to the instructions on the bottle. I also have a waterer with just water available for them as well. Sadly, the little chick in the photo above just died. I'm hoping she is the last one. We had 30 shipped, and have lost a total of 3 (one during shipping, and 2 since arrival). From what I've read here on BYC, that is to be expected. I have one little SLW chick who seems sleepier than the rest, but other than that, the rest of the chicks seem alright. My 5 year old is having a hard time with the deaths, so I hope that there aren't (m)any more.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom