Pic:weeping eye=Duck Cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thedoors5to1, Jan 2, 2010.

1. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    My ducks had "weeping" eyes, clear liquid and some bubbly stuff coming from his eye. i've been washing it with warm water and applying antibiotic ointment.
    im wondering if its a cold or something more serious. its been going on for a few weeks or so. ive got some pictures. any opinions help, i just want to make sure he's o.k. he scratches at the eye alot.
    heres three pictures, first ones of his eye up close, you can see some whitish small bubbles and some food stuck to his face from the weeping eye making his feathers crusty and food stuck when it froze. also sometimes his feathers around his eye freeze and get crusty to the point where his eyelids are being pulled away from his eye.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    anyone? this crusty eye stuff is getting to me. its every day almost that its frozen to his face and i wash it with warm water or bathe it. thanks

3. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    a few of my ducks have te same problem...anyone have any clue as to what it could be?

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I noticed something similar to my young duck. The eye looks like it weeps but nothing else is around it. It looks like a cold in its eye. I didn't see anything in the eye either.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have no idea but just wanted to say how pretty and hope you can find some answers, also might try the duck thread if you haven't already..

6. the duck whisperer

the duck whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Ohio
    Happens all the time to my ducks. Its just their eyes start to water from the cold weather and it freezes. I dont think he is sick, not much to worry about, but i think he'll be fine.

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Does your drake have constant 24 hour a day access to water deep enough to get his whole head into? Its really important that they have fresh clean water for cleaning their faces and nostrils. Dust and airborne particles can easily lodge in the nose or irritate their eyes causing them to weep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by