1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pick on the babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by minna, Nov 1, 2008.

1. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    I have 5 silver duckwing batams(1 roo) and 1 4 month old RIR in the big coop. 2 weeks ago when I got my new babies, I had to move my 4 week old babies out into the big coop, b/c i had no where else for them to go. The big chickens killed 1 of them within a few hrs. I ended up putting them in the transport cage with food and water for a day(in the middle of the coop) and trying again the next day. Lost 1 more, i decided it was mainly the roo, so I locked him up for a day. The next day, all was well and the pecking has ceased. My question is, how can i prevent this next time. I suggested to my husband that the bantams need their own coop, he is going to build one as soon as he has time, but time is not something he has a lot of. Any ideas? I have about 80 chicks that are 2 weeks old and they are going to have to come out of the brooder soon. hubby is going to build me a nursery pen inside the barn, but they can only stay there for so long also. Are my big chickens always going to pick on the little ones that bad. ?????

2. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    This is the way I did it and my opinion, ok? I put my babies in with the big girls from day one (hubby wont let them stay in the house) but they were in their area. Then when they were ready I made sure the babies had a place to hide from the big girls. They had everything they needed there. Now like I said this is just the way I did it, many will disagree with it. I hope things work out for you!

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Maybe a large dog crate or rabbit cage?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by