1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picked on chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RachaelS, Jun 9, 2011.

1. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The other chicks picked on her neck so bad it is bleeding with a large sore. what is the best why to clean? Then protect? Can I use neosporen?

2. uglybeat

uglybeat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    You can use Neosporin, but Wound-Kote is a blue lotion that is an antiseptic that appears blue so the chickens won't keep pecking at it. Maybe keep her in a separated area but where they can see her and get used to her again while she heals. Good luck!

3. JanetfromDayton

JanetfromDayton Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I had the same problem. Very recently. I just posted pictures of her bald little head. I used a neosporin wound cleanser that is for kids. Had it on hand from my granddaughter. Then put neosporin ointment on her. Had to keep her separate until it healed. It's healed now, but shes bald. She's at the bottom of the totem pole. I have her in with the others again after a couple weeks. I still have a separate feed bowl for her. When I had her separate, she was so upset. After lots of help and advise from all these good people, I found her a buddy. One of the other bantams that I noticed was not one of the ones picking on her. I let them both out in the yard together to free range when I'm out there. Without her buddy, I couldn't do anything. She was right under my feet when I was trying to get some gardening done. I was bent over with the hoe and next thing I knew, she was on my back trying to get up on my shoulder.
    Someone told me to use the bluecoat also, but I haven't found it. I just kept her separate till she healed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by