Picket fence for run

chicken995

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
Northern Colorado
Hey all, considering a picket fence for one side of my run. I don't get a lot of snow consistently in my area, but we are usually good for one heck of a blizzard each winter. The snow almost always blows in from the west or north. The west part of my run is against the coop, so we are good there. So I was considering putting up 6 foot picket fencing along the north wall of the run. Has anybody every done this and had success with it? Thanks in advance.

Are you asking will the picket fence help with blocking the snow? or will the chickens stay inside it? No clue on the snow but mine stay inside the picket fence but they are polish and probably can't see the top of it! LOL

I've found landscape burlap does a great job of blocking snow without catching excessive wind. Or you could just put a solid plywood (or whatever) windbreak there, if your run fence is stoutly built enough or if you can put in stoutly-enough set posts *past* the run fence to hold the windbreak.

I am not sure what you mean by picket fencing (what board widths and spacing?), so can't comment on how that might work.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom