Picking a location and a coop for 15

This depends on the specific plate, some of which do better in cooler temps than others.

I have the Producer's Pride plate and use it alone down to about 50 and then in a dual heat setup down into the 20's (this winter had a cold snap for every hatch I made -- including Easter). The Big Red Bulb keeps the area around the plate warm enough for the plate to work and keeps the water thawed then the plate keeps the chicks warm.

That suits my situation better than a more enclosed brooder with lamp heat only.
I can see the dual set up working well, though am not sure why bother with the plate at all then. I am surprised you have a plate that works in lower temps. I was thinking the plate, since it works through contact or near contact would have to be too hot to touch to make up for cold air temperatures?

I can see the dual set up working well, though am not sure why bother with the plate at all then. I am surprised you have a plate that works in lower temps. I was thinking the plate, since it works through contact or near contact would have to be too hot to touch to make up for cold air temperatures?

I rarely need the lamp because of my temperatures and the plate is better suited to my management style. But I use the dual setup when the temps drop.

Because of the nature of my brooder, which is optimized for blistering heat rather than cold, I'd have to run two lamps for winter hatches and before I got the plate I was constantly adjusting the lamp and swapping bulbs to keep the temperatures cool enough any time it wasn't winter.

Back
Top Bottom