Picking a location and a coop for 15

Demophlos

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2023
Ashtabula, OH
I have to decide where to place my coop and what type of coop to build. I have found plenty of good ideas on here, and that is part of my problem. I know I cannot account for every possible issue, but I am going to do my best. Hoping you all can provide some insight that may point me in the right direction.

I live in Northeast Ohio, a few miles south of Lake Erie. I can't really say the snowbelt because Buffalo definitely got it worse this year, but we are in that region.
Our property is as pictured below. The backyard is fenced about where the black line shows. It is a bit of a ridge, the house sits up higher, the blue circle is the lowest point of the yard and does end up with standing water maybe twice a year with snowmelt and heavy rain. It is dry most of the summer. The yard slopes back up further back. Because of the slope, the yard is protected from some of the wind gusts. The soil is very sandy, especially out back. I do have a pool with a deck, and it is gated. The pool can be seen within the blue circle as well. I built a shed and have electric and water available at the shed (not circled but just to the left of the pool. I have already checked with my township and there is no restrictions on having chickens or roosters unless a neighbor complains. I also have spoken with neighbors on both sides to make sure they were ok with us having a coop.

I have 3 locations in mind for the coop:

1676059283442.png

Location 1 is on the left. It is close enough to that I could run water and power to the coop if I wanted to. It has the most direct sunlight catching sunrise, then sun from about 11:00 - 3:00, and then 5:00-sunset. This is because of the tree line on both sides of the property. However, as you can see below, the edge of that water could potentially be under part of the run. Even if I spread that pile out, the water would still sit underneath during heavy rains, so I don't know if that makes it a no-go for here. This was my first pick for a location.
IMG_5053.jpg
IMG_5052.jpg

Location 2 is to the right and slight back along the other neighbors fence line. We have a patch of blackberries and the ground here is never with standing water. This location is too far to run any power or water to and will only get the sunrise and late afternoon sun. It is shaded during the summer with all the trees. Also, my neighbor drives a semi, and there can be a lot of noises from the trucks. He has a shop back there as well where he works on his trucks. I don't think that will bother the chickens, but just something to note.

IMG_5055.jpg
IMG_5062.jpg

My 3rd location is in the back of the yard. It is flat, well elevated, but would only get afternoon sun. No chance of power or water back here either. And somewhat near the firepit, but that is only there because we cut some trees down.

IMG_5058.jpg
IMG_5069.jpg
IMG_5059.jpg

I think location 2 makes the most sense but curious on your thoughts.

Part 2 is coop design. The location does not really change anything for me in the design. I have have looked at so many, and I am looking for someone to talk me out of what I am thinking or tell me this will work.

The shed I built was a kit from Home Depot, and I am just thinking of getting another but larger (or making it from the plans they have posted) and making that the coup. I was looking at a 10 x 16 shed, using a 10x10 area for the coop and the other area for food, bedding, tool storage. I like the idea of having an isolated brooding space inside as well. I am not sure the kits make sense due to the modifications what would be needed, but that is the basic plan for the coop. I have found several pages of people turning existing sheds into coops, but none specifically built as a coop. Is this over kill? Would I be better off building one of the smaller in size coops similar to what EZcoops sells at TC?

Feedback is appreciated.

Thank you from a new chicken dad in Ohio.

I'd build as close to the left side of the shed as you can. Having power to the coop in northern climates makes life so much easier.
You will be able to power a heated waterer so you don't have to haul water out throughout the day in the dead of winter.
You will be able to install lights for when you need to do maintenance on the flock after dusk.
You will be able to brood directly in the coop with a brooder plate.

I have found several pages of people turning existing sheds into coops
I'm one of them and recommend it often.
Is this over kill?
Not in the least.
Would I be better off building one of the smaller in size coops similar to what EZcoops sells at TC?
Don't even consider doing this. Those are horribly designed coops and you most assuredly do not want to go smaller.

If you have the ability to build from scratch, do that. If you buy a shed kit, you will need to make a lot of modifications to it to make it a good coop. You really want to have decent overhang on your roof line all the way around to help with providing plenty of weather sheltered ventilation.

the water would still sit underneath during heavy rains, so I don't know if that makes it a no-go for here.

IMO, standing water is a 100% no-go. It's a recipe for vile-smelling mud -- a chicken cesspit. :(

But since you're in a severe winter area you will need some means of keeping water from freezing so the ability to run power is going to be pretty important.

Can you build up that area somehow? Get a load of dirt, maybe? Or dig a French drain to carry the water off to a lower area?

The shed I built was a kit from Home Depot, and I am just thinking of getting another but larger (or making it from the plans they have posted) and making that the coup. I was looking at a 10 x 16 shed, using a 10x10 area for the coop and the other area for food, bedding, tool storage. I like the idea of having an isolated brooding space inside as well. I am not sure the kits make sense due to the modifications what would be needed, but that is the basic plan for the coop. I have found several pages of people turning existing sheds into coops, but none specifically built as a coop. Is this over kill? Would I be better off building one of the smaller in size coops similar to what EZcoops sells at TC?

Here are some numbers for you. They're not hard-and-fast RULES, but they are useful guidelines to start with -- and are usually considered minimums. :)

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
15 hens
  • 60 square feet in the coop. 8'x8' is easier to build than 6'x10'
  • 15 feet of roost
  • 150 square feet in the run. 10'x15', 12'x12' or 8'x20'
  • 15 square feet of ventilation.
  • 4 nest boxes.
An article on chicken's space needs that's more nuanced than the guideline numbers. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

My article on coop ventilation, which is critical to their long-term good health: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Some coop ideas:

Large Coops

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/alaskan-woods-coop.75752/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop.76267/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/post-and-beam-styled-coop-run.76181/reviews
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/le-palais-de-poulet-the-chicken-palace.67196/
https://countryliving.blog/2021/06/15/my-coop/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-kd-knock-down-10-by-16-coop-pictorial.75421/

Shed Conversions

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-mulligan.74743/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-scoop-on-a-rubbermaid-big-max-coop.76444/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/toy-shed-conversion.64879/

2 and 3 sound better to me because they don't get waterlogged, however not being able to run electricity out in winter could be an issue, especially since the alternative to a heated waterer is to have to carry water out several times a day during winter. Is one noticeably closer to the house?

Alright, so location one is selected. I will be installing a sort of French drain to help with the standing water, and I will definitely build the area up. I will also bump the size up to a 12'x16'

My next question. Knowing I am building a shed and using it as the coop, am I ok building it on 4x4 runners, or should I consider elevating it 1-1 1/2 ft? Concerned about mice.

I did find a video from Connerty Meadows Farm out of Ontario.
They built a ground level coop and sandwiched hardware cloth underneath the flooring. I thought this was a great idea. I also like the brooding boxes they built into the coop.

They built a ground level coop and sandwiched hardware cloth underneath the flooring. I thought this was a great idea.
This really isn't necessary.
You can build the coop on the 4x4 PT runners but I would grade out about a 4" thick layer of crusher run or road base, screed it level and run a plate compacter over it so any water drains off.
After you build the coop, attach a predator apron around the base of the coop and run it tight to the ground and out about 2' from the base of your coop and pin it with HD landscape staples. You could then put another layer of gravel over the top where it crosses your base and let the grass grow through where is crosses the ground.
Going with a walk-in style coop is the only way to go IMO.

Knowing I am building a shed and using it as the coop, am I ok building it on 4x4 runners, or should I consider elevating it 1-1 1/2 ft? Concerned about mice.

Dobie's advice is excellent.

There are two good ways to keep rodents and other pests from getting under a coop -- one is with that apron as she described, the other is to elevate it on piers high enough to allow daylight and air well under it and to allow the chickens under it.

The problem with that is that if you allow chickens into a space that you can't get into then one of them is bound to lay eggs under there, go broody under there, get sick and hide under there, or even die under there.

Dobie's way is probably better, but I thought I'd mention that alternative. In my region putting sheds up on concrete block piers is common because the termites are so aggressive. :)

I think elevating the coop is better - for rodent deterrence and also the water issue. A soggy run is bad, but you really don’t want a soggy coop and french drains will only do so much.
For your ventilation it works really well to have it right under the eaves, and in the triangles of the gables - nice and high over the chickens heads so they are not sitting in a draft. We have clerestory “windows” covered in hardware cloth, also a great solution.

Frankly - I am not sure the water issues are weighing less heavy than the lack of electricity in location 2. Water can be really difficult to manage, maybe you can use a battery to power a water heater? I admit I don’t have to deal with cold winters where we are, it only freezes during the night…
Oh, you can NOT use a brooder plate in temperatures much under 70, definitely not under 50, so you will need an actual 250W heat lamp out there if you want to have your brooder in the coop. I personally think heat lamps are safe if you bother to set them up correctly, but many are scared they might start a fire…

Oh, you can NOT use a brooder plate in temperatures much under 70, definitely not under 50,

This depends on the specific plate, some of which do better in cooler temps than others.

I have the Producer's Pride plate and use it alone down to about 50 and then in a dual heat setup down into the 20's (this winter had a cold snap for every hatch I made -- including Easter). The Big Red Bulb keeps the area around the plate warm enough for the plate to work and keeps the water thawed then the plate keeps the chicks warm.

That suits my situation better than a more enclosed brooder with lamp heat only.

Back
Top Bottom