Picking and cannibalism help

Goodwin5

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2016
Has anyone tried "Hot Pic Spray" or "Pic No More" from Strombergs to cure pecking and cannibalism from male coturnix?

There may be a reason he's doing it - what feed are they on?

How many quail in one cage? One male?

Is there hiding places/things to break line of sight?

Usually it's improper feed/overcrowding causing these problems - if it's not environmental and just mental, I would consider culling as you don't want to pass along those aggressive genes on, if that's what's going on.

You can also try partitioning the male (they are side by side and can see each other but not hurt each other) and allow the other birds to heal fully, perhaps by the time that's done when the partition is lifted he won't have "the bloodlust" any longer!

At the very least it seems you'll have to remove him until the other birds heal completely because pecking at wounds/feather pins is something that even a normal non aggressive quail is apt to do.

Good luck!!

I have been using game bird feed from a local milling company with the proper protein levels. I am also supplementing them with dried mealworms as treats and a bit of a boost in protein.

My biggest problem I think is that I have my males separated from my females for right now before I breed them in the spring. I am selling my eggs and do not want them to be fertile. I had them all in a single hutch with 1 sq. ft. of space per bird which I thought was my biggest problem. I then just this weekend built the start to my breeding pens and separated the males into 2 cages now with about 1.5 sq. ft. per bird. That has seemed to help out quite a bit but I still have noticed some pecking activity going on. It has mainly been when they are spooked from either my young kids being in there helping me collect the eggs.

I have a sand box for each cage and I will be putting branches and other cover for them to see if that will improve the situation further.

Is there anything else I could be doing to try and improve the situation? I do not want to have them culled yet... I bought leg bands and after I put in cover for them I will be marking the males that show the most cannibalistic tendencies so I make sure not to breed him.

Thank you for the help!

I think you're right, the big problem is the mature males living together and if you have the girls nearby that would promote even more fighting.

I'm not even sure if a large aviary with plenty of hiding spaces would keep the boys happy, they're so programmed to compete with each other and when they can't chase him off they attack.

I use a spray bottle, with water. gets their mind off for a while. I noticed lately that if I rearrange their stuff in the cage, put some cardboard boxes etc they are intrigued/curious and picking stops.

Back
Top Bottom