Picking/cannabalism and separation questions

birdy_num_nums

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 28, 2008
I have a chick (they are all 5 weeks old) getting pecked. I am going to pull her out separately until she heals. However, I am also thinking to give the whole flock more room to have half of them in a huge dog crate, the others remaining in their very roomy (but getting smaller by the day) brooder.

Question: will this make it as if I have two separate flocks to introduce when I put them all in their coop outside? (coop under construction; would be nearly done but we ran into a snafu; maybe finished this coming weekend). Any tips and hints on making this an easy transition for all of us? I am thinking of switching chicks around each day, so the same 5 don't get too used to each other and end up viewing the other 5 (and the pecked one) as complete strangers. Also, as of tomorrow, I'll have a large outdoor temporary run to put them in, and plan on mixing them all (except the one with the sore) in that. With these measures will I have an issue with the 2-flock thing?

Thanks for any advice!

They will peck at eachother if they don't have enough space. How many are in the dog crate?

If the one that has been getting pecked has blood or injury you need to keep her seperated or they will continue.

If you have a large enough outdoor run you can keep them in during the day that is great, but again the injured one may need to be seperate to heal.

At night just put them in 2 seperate large enough cages and they will be fine.

Yes the injured one has a small bloody spot on her back:( I pulled her out and she's all set up in her own small dog crate:) Like a little Cukoo Maran Queen in there:) I'll keep her out until she is completely healed. She's been in there since my post above and is already looking lots better.

The others I'll split today between the brooder they are in now and the huge dog crate. That will make 5 in each- should be plenty of room.... and I'll keep them occupied by taking their first foray outside into their temporary run. Except for poor little Cukoo Maran, she'll stay all by herself.

Back
Top Bottom