Picking on one hen after illness

potocki99

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Northern Michigan
I have a hen that I have been nursing back to health in my house (in a kennel). She had, what I suspect was the coccidiosis. I had done a trial run of her back with her flock last week, and she still wasn't up to snuff. Last night, I put her back in, checked on her later, everything seemed ok. Today I went out, and her comb was beat up and she came running to me.

What, if anything, should I do? I know there will be a certain amount of new pecking order, but will it let up? Any other tips, appreciated.

Sorry to hear your hen has been unwell. I would suggest you start by keeping her seperate from the flock but so she is next to them so they can see each other but are seperated by wire or have her large cage. This way they can become reacquainted but they can't get to each other and cause her any injury. This method is usually used for introducing new flock members but in the eyes of your existing flock she will be a new member. Having been away from them they will have established their new order and she needs to find her place back in it. This should be done over several weeks and then when she does go in with them I would supervise just incase you need to intervene if it does get to rough for her.

Wishing you the very best of luck in restoring harmony to your flock :frow

Last edited:
Thank you for the tips! I took a wire dog kennel out there - the one hen that is super aggressive with her is still trying to figure how to get at her, but I think I have it locked down from that happening. Thanks again, for responding!

Back
Top Bottom