Picking on the weaklings. Need help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Calbtx, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Calbtx

Calbtx In the Brooder

Mar 4, 2018
    Bandera, tx
    So 4 weeks ago I started my chick journey. I bought 2 barred rocks and 2 Americanas first from 1 of our local feed stores. 2 days later I went to the other feed store and bought 2 coumbian Wyandottes, 1 light Brahma and "one jersey giant (pretty sure really an austrolorp)" well the 1st feed store called me today because they had 2 of the 4 week old barred rocks left from when I bought the originals. They said I could have them if i came in today. Even the they were pretty beat up I took them. One was missing feathers on half of it's back. Because they were all the same size I thought it would be ok putting them in the same brooder. Well, the light Brahma is picking on them. Pecking at their bald spots. So the best thing I could come up with was drawing in "feathers" with kid friendly non toxic markers. That slightly stopped the bullying. Any other suggestions? Sorry for the long first post

2. Roxyknowles18

Roxyknowles18 In the Brooder

Mar 7, 2018
    San Diego county
    Bald spots on the chicks show " weakness." It's totally normal that they are pecking at them becuase it's " their territory" it's called pecking order. Soon they will establish dominance and get over it.

3. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Finger Lakes, NY
    You could try putting Blukote on the bald spots.

Calbtx likes this.
  4. Calbtx

Calbtx In the Brooder

Mar 4, 2018
    Bandera, tx
    Ok I just saw on another thread how to make it homemade. Ill try that. Thank you

andreanar likes this.
  5. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    They actually make a product for that--a nasty-tasting substance called "anti-peck ointment."

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    What is the size of your brooder, and the temperature in your brooder? They will not "get over" the pecking order thing" if you have chicks with wounds in your brooder. They will likely continue to peck at them until there is blood shed, then they will cannibalize them. THAT is what chicks do if they have been mismanaged, as they obviously were at the feed store. I would keep the wounded chicks separate until they are completely healed. Be sure you give them plenty of protein in addition to their usual chick starter. Perhaps some tuna fish or other canned fish.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  7. Calbtx

Calbtx In the Brooder

Mar 4, 2018
    Bandera, tx
    I have a heat lamp in the room on a timer. Stays between 75 and 80 depending on the time of day. It's a room attached to our garage that is heated and cooled. Im using a large cattle water trough. It's been a few hours and it seems like everyone is settling down a bit 20180307_190905.jpg 20180307_190932.jpg

8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    By the time they are 2 - 3 weeks old, they should have 2 s.f./bird.

9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Hopefully, they will settle in, and not be pecked further. Wishing you luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: