Picking on the weaklings. Need help

Calbtx

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2018
Bandera, tx
So 4 weeks ago I started my chick journey. I bought 2 barred rocks and 2 Americanas first from 1 of our local feed stores. 2 days later I went to the other feed store and bought 2 coumbian Wyandottes, 1 light Brahma and "one jersey giant (pretty sure really an austrolorp)" well the 1st feed store called me today because they had 2 of the 4 week old barred rocks left from when I bought the originals. They said I could have them if i came in today. Even the they were pretty beat up I took them. One was missing feathers on half of it's back. Because they were all the same size I thought it would be ok putting them in the same brooder. Well, the light Brahma is picking on them. Pecking at their bald spots. So the best thing I could come up with was drawing in "feathers" with kid friendly non toxic markers. That slightly stopped the bullying. Any other suggestions? Sorry for the long first post

Bald spots on the chicks show " weakness." It's totally normal that they are pecking at them becuase it's " their territory" it's called pecking order. Soon they will establish dominance and get over it.

What is the size of your brooder, and the temperature in your brooder? They will not "get over" the pecking order thing" if you have chicks with wounds in your brooder. They will likely continue to peck at them until there is blood shed, then they will cannibalize them. THAT is what chicks do if they have been mismanaged, as they obviously were at the feed store. I would keep the wounded chicks separate until they are completely healed. Be sure you give them plenty of protein in addition to their usual chick starter. Perhaps some tuna fish or other canned fish.

What is the size of your brooder, and the temperature in your brooder? They will not "get over" the pecking order thing" if you have chicks with wounds in your brooder. They will likely continue to peck at them until there is blood shed, then they will cannibalize them. THAT is what chicks do if they have been mismanaged, as they obviously were at the feed store. I would keep the wounded chicks separate until they are completely healed. Be sure you give them plenty of protein in addition to their usual chick starter. Perhaps some tuna fish or other canned fish.
I have a heat lamp in the room on a timer. Stays between 75 and 80 depending on the time of day. It's a room attached to our garage that is heated and cooled. Im using a large cattle water trough. It's been a few hours and it seems like everyone is settling down a bit
20180307_190905.jpg
20180307_190932.jpg

Back
Top Bottom