Picking up and holding baby chicks?

Lmjc

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012
My chicks are 3 weeks old, does picking up and holding one specific chicken make that chicken nice and tame? I guess what I'm asking is that does picking up and holding chickens make them tame and nice, or stingy and mean when they get older?

Picking them up will help tame them, but when they are about 3 weeks of age they go through a wild phase where they just go nuts when we try to hold them. Be patient- when they start laying is when they become the friendliest and most outgoing. Keep giving treats and holding them as time goes by as much as you like.

Picking them up will help tame them, but when they are about 3 weeks of age they go through a wild phase where they just go nuts when we try to hold them. Be patient- when they start laying is when they become the friendliest and most outgoing. Keep giving treats and holding them as time goes by as much as you like.
. So I should just keep on picking them up and holding them all nicely? And also, they are all sopposed to be pullets, but it's so hard to tell at a young age, one of my chicks has a slightly bigger comb than the other 2, another chick has a slightly reder comb than the other 2, and one just looks plain normal

Just keep handling them as often as you can, Lmjc is right they all seem to go though a phase of going nuts when you go anywhere near them, but with lots of treats and gentle handling most will come around.
As for the sexing, if you post some pics then I am sure people will be happy to try and help out working out what they are. Most experienced people can get it right most of the time but with chicks it is never 100% , there is always a chance of getting a roo.
Have fun with your babies, they really are worth all the worry and time. :)

Ey are only like 4 weeks old, so I'm not going to try and sex them yet. Thanks for the input though :) its highly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom