Picking up chicks

Uzuri

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Sooooo not what you thought this thread was about
wink.png

I see people talking about picking up their adult birds often, so what's the best way to do this? What do you grab? How do you keep from getting a spur in the teeth?

welcome-byc.gif
I just put a hand on each side of them against their wings so they can't flap them. Do a search there are plenty of picture of people holding their birds.

Last edited:
I just tap the hens (or pullets) on the back or on the neck and they do their squat for me, then I grab 'em like a football.

For the chicks, I just try to get my hand around both of their wings and then scoop under their bums between their legs.

Is that what you were asking? How to pick up chicks... or chickens...

Hi,

For adult chickens, I make sure I have both wings covered so they can't get away or hurt themselves (just my idea but I have a feeling they could hurt themselves if they're flapping around wildly). If possible, I try to get them when they've gone up to roost at night, it's much easier.

As far as chicks are concerned, they're easy to catch. The only thing you have to worry about is not hurting them, so I also cover their wings with my hand.

Hope this helps!
smile.png
Genie

Back
Top Bottom