Picking up chicks :/

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lmjc, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Lmjc

Lmjc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Does picking up and holding and petting chicks make them more tame when they get older? I'm trying to tame one so much that it becomes a lap chicken..They are Rhode Island Red chickens and they are 3 weeks old at the moment.. Please answer :D

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The more you handle them, the better socialized they will be. However whether they end up being lap chickens has a lot to do with the individual personalities of the birds. Some like to hang out on your lap and others really don't.

3. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I always handle my chicks a lot cause they are so cute and fluffy. I ended up with all my chickens having different personalities still. I have one that will get up in my lap and settle in like a cat would. One that likes to be petted, and then another one that doesn't want to be touched, looked at, or have anything to do with me. All 3 from the same hatch. if you don't handle it you aren't likely to end up with a tame chicken. If you do you may or may not get a tame chicken.

4. BackyardAnita

BackyardAnita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    It really depends on the chickens personality. But yes, if you treat them well, cuddle and play with them, they will be great lap chickens! I have 3 pullets, soon to lay and they love to be cuddled!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by