Picking up larger chickens comfortably

porokelle

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
Hello y'all.
We've got four blue and black orpingtons in our flock that have finally reached full floof and egg laying size.
We also have a bantam, that I've been picking up easily since we got her as a brooder mum with the others as chicks.

But the other four are now wanting cuddles, and we're not sure if there's a better way to pick up larger chickens and have them be comfortable.
Our bantam is comfortable with arms around her or arm under her chest with legs dangling.
The other girls don't like their feet dangling, but also want to 'walk/fly' away if we put their feet on anything.

It might be just a matter of time getting use to one another.
We appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you

Hello y'all.
We've got four blue and black orpingtons in our flock that have finally reached full floof and egg laying size.
We also have a bantam, that I've been picking up easily since we got her as a brooder mum with the others as chicks.

But the other four are now wanting cuddles, and we're not sure if there's a better way to pick up larger chickens and have them be comfortable.
Our bantam is comfortable with arms around her or arm under her chest with legs dangling.
The other girls don't like their feet dangling, but also want to 'walk/fly' away if we put their feet on anything.

It might be just a matter of time getting use to one another.
We appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you
I have some very large breeds. I pick them up the same way I pick up my bantams. I try to keep their wings pinned with my thumbs to keep them from flapping all over the place, then I tuck them under my arms like footballs. I also steer clear of their crops.

They sound like cuties!!!!

I scoop my big girl up holding her wings close to her body. I usually do it when I’m sitting on the bench. She’s not a flyer and doesn’t like being held up high. Another thing is that she feels more secure if we’re “holding hands.” Once she’s comfy I let her clasp my fingers with one of her huge feet. That seems to make her feel more secure. I always lift her down as soon as she gets restless. I don’t want her to resist being held.

Back
Top Bottom