Picking Up New Ducklings Tomorrow - Help!!!!!

stux2c

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Hi everyone...I am a chicken guy. I am picking up 4 call ducklings tomorrow. They are 2 days old. I am thinking of getting a plastic tote container, using hardware wire to raise off the bottom and put wood chips below the wire. feeder and waterer. If I wanted to not do the hardware wire as a floor...has anyone used SAND? Wht are your thougths of using sand in the brooder?

Do I need to have a body of water for them to swim in early on, or can I introduce a body of water at 3-4 weeks, once they go outside>

any other pointers would be helpful.

I don't know about the sand but as far as swimming mine started at 4 days in a small tote with warm water for 15 min while the brooder got cleaned while i supervised them. and make sure to dry them off well.

welcome-byc.gif
I used puppy training pads for their brooder, and as adults I use Stall mats. I don't know if sand would be okay for babies, since they eat EVERYTHING. They can swim as soon as you get the, but only for a few minutes. They should only have full time use of swimming water once they get all their feathers.

I just used pine shavings in the bottom of my tote but I cover it with paper towels the first couple of days until they know what is the food. Don't use newspaper, it's too slippery.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom