Pickled eggs!! Mmmmmmmm

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mylittlezoo, Jul 11, 2010.

1. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    I'm looking for wide and varied pickled agg recipes.... quick, someone send me something that will stop me hatching!! [​IMG]

Seriously, I know there's some in the recipe index, but I just want a plain, regular, non-canned refrigerator pickled egg recipe. Well, several of them, actually. Then I will hide them in the fridge in the garage and eat them sneakily while DH is out of town, because he is weird and the whole concept of pickled eggs grosses him out. [​IMG]

2. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You can cheat like I have done.

Use the brine from a jar of homemade or storebought pickled beets.
    Just hardboil the eggs, peel and stuff into a jar with some sliced onions - pour the brine over and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 days - more is better.
    This gives you pretty pink pickled eggs [​IMG]

Or you can just use cider vinegar in place of the beet brine.
    Add a little sugar if you like the brine sweet like from the beets.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I make mine the easy way, first I buy canned red beets ad them to a large jar, juice and all. Then I use that can to fill with 1/2 cider vinegar and water add that to the jar. Then add cooks eggs. That's it. If the juice doesn't cover the eggs I'll add more vineger and water. It takes about 3 days in the freg. to get done.

If your making a lot I would use 2 cans of beets and one can of water and vinegar.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I just use 1/3 cider vinegar, 2/3 water, & LOTS of cayenne pepper. YUMMY! [​IMG]

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

I used the recipe from Jackie Clay's canning book I got from the Backwoods Home Magazine book section. It's the basic recipe for pickling solution with vinegar with spices. I've added garlic and hot peppers to the mix to give it an extra kick.

6. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    Wow, Darkmatter, those eggs sure do look delicious!!!! [​IMG]

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:They are........ I get a dozen eggs per quart jar. A jar of these and a six-pack guarantees me a night on the couch!

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    HOW do i make them not rubbery?? Every time i make them they turn out like rubber...

10. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    RECIPE PLEASE Darkmatter!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by